YouTube Partner Program overview
The YouTube Partner Program (YPP) lets creators monetize their content on YouTube. Creators can earn money from advertisements served on their videos and from YouTube Premium subscribers watching their content. You can apply to join the YouTube Partner Program from your account in Creator Studio.
To be considered for the YouTube Partner Program, you’ll need to:
Once you’re accepted into YPP, you’ll be able to:
- Access our Creator Support team
- Monetize your videos that meet our advertiser-friendly content guidelines
More ways to make money on YouTube
We have features that allow your viewers to purchase digital and physical goods through YouTube. These features include:
These features have different eligibility requirements and aren’t available to everyone who is part of the YouTube Partner Program.
You’re eligible to apply to join the YouTube Partner Program (YPP) if you meet all of these requirements:
- YPP is available in your country
- You have more than 4,000 watch hours in the previous 12 months
- You have more than 1,000 subscribers
- You create content that meets YouTube Partner Program policies
- You have linked an approved AdSense account
This program threshold allows us to significantly improve our ability to identify creators who contribute positively to the community, and help drive more ad revenue to them (and away from bad actors). These standards also help us prevent potentially inappropriate content from monetizing, which can hurt revenue for everyone.
How do I check my watch hours?
You can use the YouTube Analytics Watch time report to see your watch hours. The report defaults to showing watch hours in minutes, so make sure to change your view so that it shows watch time in hours. In the graph, click the Compare metric drop-down menu, then choose Watch time (hours).
See your Watch time report
Creator Studio Classic
You can go directly to the Watch time report or follow the steps below.
- Sign in to YouTube.
- In the top right, select your account > Creator Studio.
- In the left menu, click Analytics < Watch time.
- At the top of the report, you'll see information for Impressions > Click through rate > Views > Average view duration > Watch time.
- To download the report, click Export report in the top right.
- If you're approved: You'll start earning money on YouTube right away if you've already chosen the videos you want to monetize.
- If you're not approved: If your channel isn't approved to join the program, it's likely because we cannot determine whether your channel's activity complies with the YouTube Partner Program policies and Community Guidelines.
Use the resources listed below to help grow your channel. You can re-apply again in 30 days.
YouTube will not automatically remove your channel from YPP if it drops below the threshold. But, YouTube does reserve the right, at its discretion, to remove monetization from channels if a channel is inactive and not uploading or posting Community posts for 6 months or more.Channels will lose monetization if they violate any of the YouTube Partner Program policies, regardless of their watch hours and subscriber count.
If you don’t meet the threshold yet, keep working to make original content and build your audience. Here are some resources that can help you grow your channel:
- Get tips from top creators in the Creator Academy.
- Learn solutions from other YouTube users in the YouTube Help Forum.
- Go to the Creator Site to learn, grow, and be connected to programs, resources, and events.
- Check out our YouTube Help channel and YouTube Creators channel to watch tutorials, troubleshooting, and tips videos from the YouTube Help team.
If it's determined that your channel is no longer eligible for monetization, your channel will lose access to all monetization tools and features associated with the YouTube Partner Program.
If we’ve removed your ability to monetize due to a policy violation, you should start by going to the monetization page to read more about the policy your channel violated. Then review your videos against our YouTube Partner Program policies and our Community Guidelines. The next step is to edit or delete any videos that violate our policies.
You can keep uploading original content and building your audience on YouTube even if you're not in the YouTube Partner Program. You can re-apply to the program after 30 days.