YouTube Partner Programme overview
The YouTube Partner Programme (YPP) lets creators monetise their content on YouTube. Creators can earn money from advertisements served on their videos and from YouTube Premium subscribers watching their content. You can apply to join the YouTube Partner Programme from your account in Creator Studio.
To be considered for the YouTube Partner Programme, you'll need to:
- Meet our eligibility requirements
- Ensure that your content meets the YouTube Partner Programme policies
Once you've been accepted into the YPP, you'll be able to:
- Access our Creator Support team
- Monetise your videos that meet our advertiser-friendly content guidelines
More ways to make money on YouTube
We have features that allow your viewers to purchase digital and physical goods through YouTube. These features include:
These features have different eligibility requirements and aren't available to everyone who is part of the YouTube Partner Programme.
You're eligible to apply to join the YouTube Partner Programme (YPP) if you meet all of these requirements:
- YPP is available in your country
- You have more than 4,000 watch hours in the previous 12 months
- You have more than 1,000 subscribers
- You create content that follows YouTube Partner Programme policies
- You have linked an approved AdSense account
This programme threshold allows us to significantly improve our ability to identify creators who contribute positively to the community, and help drive more ad revenue to them (and away from bad actors). These standards also help us prevent potentially inappropriate content from being monetised, which can hurt revenue for everyone.
How do I check my watch hours?
You can use the YouTube Analytics Watch time report to see your watch hours. The report defaults to showing watch hours in minutes, so make sure that you change your view so that it shows watch time in hours. In the graph, click the Compare metric drop-down menu, then choose Watch time (hours).
See your Watch time report
Creator Studio Classic
You can go directly to the Watch time report or follow the steps below.
- Sign in to YouTube.
- In the top right-hand corner, select your account > Creator Studio.
- In the menu on the left, click Analytics > Watch time.
- At the top of the report, you'll see information for Impressions > Click-through rate > Views > Average view duration > Watch time.
- To download the report, click Export report in the top right-hand corner.
- If you're approved: You'll start earning money on YouTube straight away if you've already chosen the videos that you want to monetise.
- If you're not approved: If your channel isn't approved to join the programme, it's probably because we cannot determine whether your channel's activity complies with the YouTube Partner Programme policies and Community Guidelines.
Use the resources listed below to help grow your channel. You can apply again in 30 days.
YouTube will not automatically remove your channel from YPP if it drops below the threshold. But YouTube does reserve the right, at its discretion, to remove monetisation from a channel if that channel is inactive and not uploading or posting Community posts for 6 months or more.Channels will lose monetisation if they violate any of the YouTube Partner Programme policies, regardless of their watch hours and subscriber count.
If you don't meet the threshold yet, keep working to make original content and build your audience. Here are some resources that can help you grow your channel:
- Get tips from top creators in the Creator Academy.
- Learn solutions from other YouTube users in the YouTube Help Forum.
- Go to the Creator Site to learn, grow, and be connected to programmes, resources and events.
- Take a look at our YouTube Help channel and YouTube Creators channel to watch tutorials, troubleshooting and tips videos from the YouTube Help team.
If it's determined that your channel is no longer eligible for monetisation, your channel will lose access to all monetisation tools and features associated with the YouTube Partner Programme.
If we've removed your ability to monetise due to a policy violation, you should start by going to the monetisation page to read more about the policy that your channel violated. Then, review your videos against our YouTube Partner Programme policies and our Community Guidelines.The next step is to edit or delete any videos that violate our policies.
You can keep uploading original content and building your audience on YouTube even if you're not in the YouTube Partner Programme. You can re-apply to the programme after 30 days.