YouTube Partner Programme overview
The YouTube Partner Programme (YPP) lets creators monetise their content on YouTube. Creators can earn money from advertisements served on their videos and from YouTube Premium subscribers watching their content. You can apply to join the YouTube Partner Programme from your account in Creator Studio.
How to apply for the programme
There are some channels that we've reviewed that we'd like to look at more closely before accepting at this time. Once we have more information to ensure that they comply with our policies, we'll send another update directly to these channels.
All YouTube creators can apply to join as long as the programme is available in your country. Once a channel reaches 4000 watch hours in the previous 12 months and 1000 subscribers, it will be reviewed to join the programme.
This programme threshold allows us to significantly improve our ability to identify creators who contribute positively to the community and help drive more ad revenue to them (and away from bad actors). These standards also help us prevent potentially inappropriate videos from monetising, which can hurt revenue for everyone.
- If your channel has previously been in YPP: When you reach the programme threshold, your channel will be automatically re-evaluated under the new criteria. You can check your monetisation status at Creator Studio > Channel > Monetisation.
- If your channel has never been in YPP: Follow the 4 steps to join the YouTube Partner Programme from your account in Creator Studio. Once your channel reaches the programme threshold, you'll be reviewed to join.
- If you're approved: You'll start earning money on YouTube right away if you've already chosen the videos that you want to monetise.
- If you're not approved: If your channel isn't approved to join the programme, it's likely because we cannot determine whether your channel's activity complies with the YouTube Partner Programme policies and Community Guidelines.
Use the resources listed below to help grow your channel. You can apply again in 30 days.
See your Watch time report
- Sign in to YouTube.
- In the top right-hand corner, select your account > Creator Studio.
- In the menu on the left, click Analytics > Watch time.
- At the top of the report, you'll see information for Impressions > Click-through rate > Views > Average view duration > Watch time.
- To download the report, click Export report in the top right.
You can use the Overview tab to see how long viewers watch your content:
- Sign in to YouTube Studio beta. If you haven't tried the beta, learn more.
- In the left-hand menu, click Analytics.
- Click the Overview tab to see watch time info cards.
- Click on the cards to get a deeper dive.
- Get tips from top creators in the Creator Academy.
- Learn solutions from other YouTube users in the YouTube Help Forum.
- Go to the Creator Site to learn, grow, and be connected to programmes, resources and events.
- Take a look at our YouTube Help channel and YouTube Creators channel to watch tutorials, troubleshooting and tips videos from the YouTube Help team.
- See all the resources available to you as a creator.
Features not affected by YPP eligibility requirements
- Cards: All creators can use cards. However, linking to external websites from cards is a feature that is currently only available to YPP members. When YPP eligibility requirements are updated on 20 February 2018, channels that currently have access to these features will continue to have access even if they're no longer in the YPP. We'll be building out new eligibility criteria for this external linking feature.
- Creator Studio: You don't need to be part of YPP to use Creator Studio on YouTube.
- Custom URLs: You don't need to be part of YPP to claim a custom URL. However, there are other requirements that you must reach.
- Custom thumbnails: You don't need to be part of YPP to use custom thumbnails, you just need to verify your account by phone.
- End screens: All creators can use end screens. However, linking to external websites from end screens is a feature that is currently only available to YPP members. When YPP eligibility requirements are updated on 20 February 2018, channels that currently have access to these features will continue to have access even if they're no longer in the YPP. We'll be building out new eligibility criteria for this external linking feature.
- Live streaming: You don't need to be part of YPP to use live streaming. You just need to confirm that your channel is verified and that you have no live stream restrictions in the last 90 days.
- Scheduling uploads: You don't need to be part of YPP to schedule uploads.
- YouTube Analytics: You don't need to be part of YPP to use YouTube Analytics.
Features affected by YPP eligibility requirements
You currently need to be in the YPP to use some monetisation-related features. When YPP eligibility requirements are updated on 20 February 2018, only channels that are in the YPP will continue to have access to these features:
- Provide your tax information, if necessary
- Confirm your payee name and address
- Set up how you want to receive your payment
- Verifying your address with a PIN that's mailed to you (if you don't already have a PIN, this may take 2–4 weeks)
If it's determined that your channel is no longer eligible for monetisation, your channel will lose access to all monetisation tools and features associated with the YouTube Partner Programme. Learn more about what to do if monetisation is disabled for your channel.
You can keep uploading original content and building your audience on YouTube even if you're not in the YouTube Partner Programme. You can re-apply to the programme 30 days after suspension.