You can show personalized ads to millions of viewers across YouTube and video partner sites, based on their past interactions with your videos or YouTube channel. This is known as “video remarketing.” By reinforcing your message with people who have already seen your videos or channel, you’re more likely to succeed in increasing your return on investment. Learn about remarketing
- Improved ROI: Advertisers who use remarketing on YouTube have improved their return on investment (ROI) by showing video ads to people interested in their product or service.
- Broader scope: With YouTube's vast network, your video ad can reach potential customers on remarketing audience lists.
- Efficient pricing: The Google Ads auction model offers competitive rates that meet your target ROI. With CPV bidding, you'll pay for video views and other video interactions, such as clicks on the call-to-action overlays (CTAs), cards, and companion banners.
- Flexibility: Website remarketing (also known as "remessaging" or "retargeting") is based on visitors' actions on a website. You can remarket based on actions specific to your YouTube videos, including when viewers like, dislike, and share your video.
How it works
Remarketing lists are created by first linking your YouTube channel to your Google Ads account. Once you link accounts, you can create remarketing lists that reach people who have done the following YouTube-related actions:
- Viewed any video from a channel
- Viewed certain videos
- Viewed any video (as an ad) from a channel
- Viewed certain videos (as ads)
- Subscribed to a channel
- Visited a channel homepage
- Liked any video from a channel
- Added any video from a channel to a playlist
- Shared any video from a channel
You can then use these lists in your targeting settings for new or existing campaigns. Manage your lists any time by selecting “Shared library" from the "Tools" menu , then selecting "Audience manager" and “Audience lists” in the right menu. Add lists by clicking on the plus button on the audience lists page and selecting “YouTube users” in the menu. Then answer the different prompts.
Note: Remarketing lists can’t be created from views of bumper ads or non-skippable instream ads
For "Initial list size," you can either pull list members from the last 30 days of activity on your channel, or start fresh.
Keep in mind that Google Ads no longer populates new memberships for YouTube channel and YouTube Masthead remarketing lists for use in ads on non-Google websites. As a result, any reporting for the YouTube channel and YouTube Masthead remarketing lists will show as “0” under “Size: Display” on the “Audience insights” page in Google Ads.
Make the most of your video remarketing lists by exploring these features:
- Various ad formats: Build and target your remarketing campaign with video ads and other creative formats (text, image, and rich media ads). Learn about video ad formats
- Engage mobile customers: Use square and vertical videos to engage mobile customers on the YouTube app. Learn more
- Detailed reports: Optimize your remarketing campaign based on performance metrics. For example, raise bids on specific topics or channels that generate the greatest ad response. Learn tips for optimizing your video campaign
- Ease of use: Easily create, manage, and target your remarketing lists. Learn about remarketing audience lists
- Custom audiences: Customize your targeting by combining your remarketing lists. For example, you can reach audiences who viewed your movie trailer but haven’t yet viewed your ad promoting the DVD release. Learn how to create a custom combination list