Introduction to live streaming
You can reach your audience live by taking advantage of live streaming on YouTube.
Enable your channel
Before you begin a live stream for the first time, you have to enable your channel.
- Confirm that your channel is verified and that you have no live stream restrictions in the last 90 days.
- Enable live streaming:
Note: Enabling a live stream for the first time may take up to 24 hours. Once enabled, your stream can go live instantly.
Once your channel is enabled, you have four options to start your live stream:
- Stream now is a quick and easy way to go live. Start sending content and we'll automatically start and stop the stream for you at the right time.
- Events gives you greater control of the live stream. You can preview before you go live, you have backup redundancy streams, and you can start and stop the stream when you want.
- Mobile lets you stream from the main YouTube app. After a mobile live stream ends, an archive of the stream is saved to your channel and you have the option to edit the privacy setting (including setting it to private) or delete the archive.
- Webcam is an easy way to go live without the need for an encoder. Start streaming from your laptop/desktop computer using your webcam. Available on Chrome browsers.
Learn more about setting up a live stream.
All content in live streams must adhere to our Community Guidelines and Terms of Service. If you suggest that you will live stream content that violates our Community Guidelines, we may age-restrict or remove your live stream. YouTube also reserves the right to restrict a creator's ability to live stream at its discretion.
If your live stream is restricted, you may also get a strike on your account, which will prevent you from live streaming for three months. If your account has been restricted from live streaming, you are prohibited from using another channel to live stream on YouTube. This applies for as long as the restriction remains active on your account. Violation of this restriction is considered circumvention under our Terms of Service and may result in termination of your account.