You can change your screen's brightness, font size, display size, rotation settings, and more.
- Some of these steps work only on Android 10 and up. Learn how to check your Android version.
- Some of these steps require you to tap the screen.
- Call captioning only works on Pixel phones.
Change display settings
- Open your phone's Settings app.
- Tap Display.
- Tap the setting that you want to change. To see more settings, tap Advanced.
Tip: You can get to the settings you use most from any screen with Quick Settings. Learn how to quickly change common settings.
Use display settings
- Brightness level
To set your screen's brightness, tap Brightness level and move the slider .
- Adaptive brightness
To automatically fit your screen's brightness to the light around you, turn on Adaptive brightness. This option is on by default. You can change your brightness while adaptive brightness is on. Over time, your phone will learn your preferences.
Tip: On Pixel 4 and later Pixel phones, adaptive brightness can temporarily brighten your screen above the normal maximum to make reading easier when you’re in extremely bright ambient lighting, like direct sunlight.
- Dark theme
Tap Dark theme. To save your phone's battery, darken the background on some of your phone's screens. You can set Dark theme to automatically turn on at certain times. Learn how to schedule Dark theme.
- Night Light
You can make it easier to use your phone in dim light. Learn how to use Night Light.
- Styles & wallpapers (Pixel 2 & later): Change your phone's accent color, icon shapes, and fonts, or pick a type of wallpaper. Learn how to change your styles & wallpapers.
- Wallpaper (Pixel 1 only): Pick from default wallpapers, live wallpapers, and your photos. Learn how to change your wallpaper.
- Themed icons
Change supported app icons to match your phone's color scheme.
- Dark theme
You can save battery by using a dark color scheme on some screens, like your Settings app. Tap Dark theme.
- Screen timeout
Change how long it takes for your phone’s screen to go black when you’re not using it.
- Screen attention (Pixel 4 & later)
Keep your screen turned on when you're looking at it.
Tip: Screen attention works best when the screen is well-lit but not in direct sunlight.
- Ambient EQ (Pixel 4 only)
Automatically adjust your screen's color temperature to the light around you.
- Smooth Display (Pixel 4 only)
Improve scrolling and animations across most apps.
- Screen saver
Set a screen saver to show photos, colorful backgrounds, and more while your phone is charging. Learn how to use screen savers.
- Lock screen display
- Lock screen: Choose how notifications show on your lock screen.
- Lock screen message Add a line of text to your lock screen.
- Show lockdown option: Learn more about lockdown.
- Double line clock: Choose whether a double-line or single-line clock displays on the lock screen.
- Now Playing: Quickly identify songs you hear near you. Learn more about Now Playing.
- Idle lock screen (Pixel 4 only): Have your phone screen turn on when you’re nearby, or stay on even when idle. Learn how to change what's on your idle lock screen.
- Always show time and info (All Pixel phones except Pixel 4): Check the time, and some other info, even when your screen is off. Learn how to turn off your screen when you’re not using it.
- Tap to check phone: View certain info when you tap your screen twice. Learn how to use gestures.
- Lift to check phone: View your notifications when you pick up your phone. Learn how to use gestures.
- New notifications: Check new notifications on your lock screen. Learn how to control notifications.
- Natural: See the most accurate colors.
- Boosted: See accurate colors with more vividness. This is on by default for Pixel 2.
- Adaptive (Pixel 3 & later): See the most vivid colors and keep color details. This is on by default.
- Saturated (Pixel 2 only): See the most vivid colors.
- Font size
Change the size of words on your screen.
- Display size
Make the items on your screen smaller or larger.
- Auto-rotate screen
Turn what's showing on the screen when you turn your phone.
Tip: You can rotate your screen while Auto-rotate is turned off. Rotate your phone, then in the corner, tap Rotate .
- When phone is in VR mode
Change whether your phone reduces blur or flicker when in VR mode.