Manage screen & display settings
You can change your screen's brightness, font size, display size, rotation settings, and more.
Important: Some of these steps work only on Android 10 and up. Learn how to check your Android version.
- Open your phone's Settings app.
- Tap Display.
- Tap the setting that you want to change. To see more settings, tap Advanced.
Tip: Learn how to quickly change common settings., like some display settings.
- Brightness level
To set your screen's brightness, tap Brightness level and move the slider .
- Adaptive brightness
To automatically fit your screen's brightness to the light around you, turn on Adaptive brightness. This is on by default. You can change your brightness while adaptive brightness is on. Over time, your phone will learn your preferences.
- Night Light
You can make it easier to look at your phone in dim light. Learn how to use Night Light.
- Styles & wallpapers (Pixel 4 only): Change your phone's accent color, icon shapes, and fonts, or pick a type of wallpaper. Learn how to change your styles & wallpapers.
- Wallpaper (all other Pixel phones): Pick from default wallpapers, live wallpapers, and your photos. Learn how to change your wallpaper.
- Dark theme
You can save battery by using a dark color scheme on some screens, like your Settings app. Tap Dark theme.
- Screen timeout
Change how long it takes for your phone’s screen to go black when you’re not using it.
- Screen attention (Pixel 4 only)
Keep your screen turned on when you're looking at it.
- Ambient EQ (Pixel 4 only)
Automatically adjust your screen's color temperature to the light around you.
- Smooth Display (Pixel 4 only)
Improve scrolling and animations across most apps.
- Screen saver
Set a screen saver to show photos, colorful backgrounds, and more while your phone is charging. Learn how to use screen savers.
- Lock screen display
- Lock screen: Choose how notifications show on your lock screen.
- Lock screen message Add a line of text to your lock screen.
- Show lockdown option: Learn more about lockdown.
- Now Playing: Quickly identify songs you hear near you. Learn more about Now Playing.
- Always on: Check the time, and some other info, even when your screen is off. Learn how to turn "Always on" off or on.
- Double-tap to check phone: View certain info when you tap your screen twice. Learn how to use gestures.
- Lift to check phone: View your notifications when you pick up your phone. Learn how to use gestures.
- New notifications: Check new notifications on your lock screen. Learn how to control notifications.
- Natural: See the most accurate colors.
- Boosted: See accurate colors with more vividness. This is on by default for Pixel 2.
- Adaptive (Pixel 4, 3a & 3 only): See the most vivid colors and keep color details. This is on by default for Pixel 4, 3a & 3.
- Saturated (Pixel 2 only): See the most vivid colors.
- Font size
Change the size of words on your screen.
- Display size
Make the items on your screen smaller or larger.
- Auto-rotate screen
Turn what's showing on the screen when you turn your phone.
Tip: You can rotate your screen while Auto-rotate is turned off. Rotate your phone, then in the corner, tap Rotate .
- When phone is in VR mode
Change whether your phone reduces blur or flicker when in VR mode.
Change language settings
- Open your phone's Settings app.
- Tap System Languages & input Languages.
- To add a language:
- Tap Add a language .
- Choose the language that you want to use.
- Touch and drag your language to the top of the list.
- To remove a language:
- At the top, tap More Remove.
- Pick a language.
- At the top, tap Delete .
Was this helpful?
How can we improve it?