Depending on the app, you can sometimes use more than one app at once. You can also watch a video in a small window while you do other things.
Important: Some of these steps work only on Android 9 and up. Learn how to check your Android version.
Use two apps at once ("split screen")
Important: If you have a Pixel 2 or Pixel (2016), turn on "Swipe up on Home button." You can find it in your Settings app, under System Gestures Swipe up on Home button.
- Swipe up from the bottom of your screen to the top.
- Open an app.
- From the bottom of your screen, swipe up, hold, then let go.
- Touch and hold the app's icon.
- Tap Split screen.
- You'll see two screens. In the second screen, tap another app.
To see one app again: Drag the bar between the apps to the top or bottom of your screen.
See one app while using another (picture-in-picture)
- On your phone, open an app and play a video.
- Depending on the video app, swipe up or tap Picture-in-picture . If you swipe up and the app closes, or you don't see the Picture-in-picture icon, this feature won’t work with that app.
- Open the other app you'd like to use.
- To close the video, drag the video off the bottom of the screen.
Tip: You can drag the video window anywhere on the screen. To make the video big again, tap the video Full screen .
Turn off picture-in-picture for an app
- Open your phone’s Settings app.
- Tap Apps & notifications Advanced Special app access Picture-in-picture.
- Tap an app.
- Turn off Allow picture-in-picture.