You can restore recently deleted photos and videos that are still in your trash. Items that are permanently deleted can’t be restored.
Backed up photos and videos stay in your trash for 60 days. Photos and videos that weren’t backed up stay in your trash for 30 days. If you’re missing photos and videos, check your trash. Learn how to turn on backup.
Check your archive
If your missing item is archived, you can unarchive it so it shows in your Google Photos library.
Check your trash
If your missing photo or video is in your trash, you may restore it.
If your missing photo or video isn't in your trash, it may be permanently deleted. Learn more about deleted photos and videos.
Restore photos & videos
Important: You can only restore photos and videos if they’re still in your trash.
- On your Android device, open the Google Photos app .
- At the bottom, tap Library Trash .
- Touch and hold the photo or video you want to restore.
- If the photo or video isn’t in your trash, it may be permanently deleted.
- At the bottom, tap Restore. Your photo or video will be back in:
- Albums that it was in
- Google Photos library
- Phone’s gallery app
Not all deleted photos & videos can be restored
If a deleted photo or video isn't in trash, you can’t restore it. You won't be able to restore a photo or video if:
- The photo or video wasn’t backed up and:
- On an Android 11 and up device, you moved it to trash more than 30 days ago.
- You permanently deleted it from your device’s gallery app.
- The photo or video was backed up and moved to trash more than 60 days ago.
- You moved it to trash, then emptied your trash.
- You permanently deleted it from your trash.