When you turn on back up and sync, your photos are stored in photos.google.com.
Some photos can seem to disappear because you’re on a different account.
- On your computer, open photos.google.com.
- Sign in to your Google Account.
- At the top right, click the profile picture.
- Check that you’re signed in to the account that you backed up photos to.
If you suddenly lose your photos, they might have a different date. If you download or scan a photo from a device with different date and time settings, the timestamp may be wrong. Learn how to change timestamps on photos.
- On your computer, open "Recently Added" in Google Photos.
- If it’s not there, search for the photo and use the right dates or keywords. At the top, select Search and type what you want to find, like “dogs,” “New York City,” or if you tag your photos, someone’s name.
- If your search comes up empty, try other keywords or search again in 3–5 days. It can take time for photos to be searchable.
- If your photo is still in trash, you may be able to get it back. Learn how to restore a deleted photo.
- If your photo is in trash for over 60 days, the photo may be permanently deleted.
- If you use another photo app or gallery, and delete photos there, you might delete your photo before Google Photos can back up your photo.
Try other ways to find your photosCheck if back up is on
- On your device, make sure you’re signed in to the right account.
- At the top, you can find your backup status.
If backup is on
- Your photo might still be in the process of backing up. If you receive “Waiting to back up” or a number on your phone, some photos aren't backed up yet.
- Make sure Google Photos can back up the file sizes of your photos or videos. Learn more about file sizes.
If backup is offImportant: Before you delete photos from your device, make sure you let Google Photos back up your photos first. Learn how to turn on backup.
If you delete a photo from your device, you may not be able to recover it. Google Photos doesn’t back up photos right away.
- On your device, open the Google Photos app .
- At the bottom, tap Library Albums.
- Under "Photos on device," check your device folders.