Make video calls with Google Duo
You can make calls to anyone in your contacts. Learn how you can find and add people to call.
All calls, including international ones, are made through your mobile data plan or a Wi-Fi connection, so you won't use your mobile minutes. If you use your mobile data, charges may apply. If you've connected your phone number to any Google services, you may automatically be registered with other products, like Google Duo.
Start a new video or audio call
Duo is available on Android smartphones and tablets.
Important: If your Android manufacturer made video calling available, you can make video calls from the Phone, Contacts, or Messages apps. Also, make sure that you're running Android 7.0 and up.
- If you don't already have Duo on your device, install the latest version and set it up.
- On your Android device, open the Duo, Phone, Contacts, or Messages app.
- Choose which app you're using:
- Duo: Tap the contact.
Phone, Contacts or Messages: Tap Video call .
- When done, tap End call .
If you use the Google Assistant: You can start a Duo video call by saying or typing, "Video call [name]." Check that your Google Assistant and Duo are using the same Google Account.
If your carrier has its own video-calling feature:
- If you and the person you're calling both have a carrier video-call feature, the call will automatically use the carrier's video service.
- If only one of you have a carrier's video-call feature, the call will be through Google Duo.
Answer or decline Duo calls
- Answer a call: Swipe up.
- Decline a call: Swipe down. The caller’s device will stop ringing and show that you are unavailable.
- Silence the ringer: Press the phone's power button.
Troubleshoot video issues
- Make sure Duo is installed.
- Check that you've registered Duo by verifying your phone number and allowing access to your contacts.
- Don't see video call option: If you're on Android 8.0 and up, sync your Duo settings. Tap Settings Users & Accounts Duo Account sync More Sync now.
- Turn off video calls:
- With carrier video call: Open the Phone app Tap Settings Calls Turn off video calling.
- Without carrier video call: Disconnect your phone number from Duo and uninstall the app.
- Not getting video call notifications: Make sure you have the latest version of the app and are connected to Wi-Fi or a data connection. Learn more about other troubleshooting steps for notifications.