Linking Merchant Centre and AdWords
Ready to use your product data from Google Merchant Centre to show Product Listing Ads with Shopping campaigns? You'll need to link your Merchant Centre account to your AdWords account to get started. Once the accounts are linked, you can take advantage of retail-centric AdWords campaign tools to improve your presence on the web. Product data in Merchant Centre can also be used to set up campaigns for dynamic remarketing, local inventory ads and more.
Why link AdWords to Merchant Centre
When you approve a link to a Google Merchant Centre account, you'll allow your product data to flow into AdWords for use in advertising campaigns. Depending on the type of product data that you submit, you can create Shopping campaigns to advertise your products, use dynamic remarketing to drive your Display campaigns and more.
What happens when you link Merchant Centre and AdWords
- Only the Merchant Centre account owner can request to link the accounts. New account link requests will appear in your AdWords account on your "Linked accounts" page, which is located in the Settings drop-down menu.
- Once the AdWords account owner approves the request, some information is shared between accounts. The Merchant Centre's product information is available in AdWords for campaign creation. Certain AdWords statistics such as clicks are shown in the linked Merchant Centre account.
- Both AdWords and Merchant Centre account owners can remove the link at any time. Neither party can make changes in the other linked account. For instance, the Merchant Centre account owner cannot pause or start campaigns, or make changes to bids in the linked AdWords account.
- If you remove the account link, you won't be able to create new campaigns in AdWords that rely on product information from this Merchant Centre account.
Before getting started, check to make sure that you have the right access level for your AdWords account. You need to have "Standard Access" or "Administrative Access" to approve Merchant Centre linking requests in AdWords.Check AdWords access level
- Log into your AdWords account at https://adwords.google.co.uk.
- Click on the Settings icon (), then select Account settings.
- In the navigation menu, click on Account access.
- In the "Access level" column, make sure your account shows "Standard access" or "Administrative access."
If you don't have the right level of access, you can ask the administrator of your AdWords account to grant you access, or to link the accounts for you.
Step 1: Request to link Merchant Centre to AdWords
You'll initiate the link from Merchant Centre. You can link multiple AdWords accounts to a single Merchant Centre account, and a single AdWords account can be linked to multiple Merchant Centre accounts.
- In your Merchant Centre account, click on Settings and then click on AdWords.
- Enter the AdWords customer ID of the account that you want to link. You can find the customer ID at the top of any AdWords page when you're signed in, near your email address.
- Click on Add.
Step 2: Approve link requests from Merchant Centre in AdWords
When a Merchant Centre account sends you a request to link, these invitations will appear in the table on your "Linked accounts" page in AdWords.
- Click on the gear icon (), then select Linked accounts from Account settings, and open the Google Merchant Center section.
- Click on the View request button.
- Review the request details. Linking the accounts doesn't grant administrative access to either account holder, and either you or the Merchant Centre account holder can unlink the accounts at any time.
- To approve the link, click on Approve.
- To reject this link, click on Reject and confirm that you want to reject it. If you want to link these accounts later, you'll need to send a new link request from Merchant Centre.
Manage your linked accounts
Once you've linked Merchant Centre and AdWords accounts, you can cancel or resend link requests, or unlink any account at any time.
In Merchant Centre, you can manage your linked AdWords account by clicking on Settings > AdWords.
In AdWords, you can manage your linked Merchant Centre accounts using the table on the "Link accounts" page.
Linked account statuses
|Needs your approval: The account owner from this Merchant Centre account has requested to link to your AdWords account. You can approve or reject their requests.|
|Linked: Your AdWords account has been linked to this Merchant Centre account, and the remarketing lists for the apps in the account have been activated.|