How to fix: Generic image
Some of your items have generic images. For each item listed in your product data, you must provide a main image that clearly shows the principal product being advertised using the
image_link attribute. The image must not be a generic or placeholder image, unless your product falls into certain product categories. Examples of generic images that are not allowed include images that are logos or use the text "No image available". Items with generic images will remain disapproved and won’t show in Shopping ads until you’ve updated the images.
Step 1: See the affected products
- Sign in to your Merchant Center account.
- Select Products on the navigation menu, then click Diagnostics.
- Click the Item issues tab to see current issues affecting your products.
To download a list (.csv) of all affected items for all issues:
- Click the download button next to the filter button , beneath the graph and above the list of issues.
To download a list (.csv) of all affected items for a particular issue:
- Find the issue under the “Issue” column, then click the download button at the end of the row.
To see a list of up to 50 products with this particular issue:
- Find the issue under the “Issue” column, then click View samples in the “Affected items” column.
Step 2: Provide images that uniquely and clearly identify each variant of the product
- Filter the downloaded report so that you only see products with: “Issue title” = Generic image.
- Check your submitted product data for those products (using the item ID), and make sure each item has a primary image that conforms to the data specifications.
- The quickest way to update your images is to change the URL provided for the
image linkattribute. If you keep the URL the same and change the content, this may lead to a longer time before your items are updated. You can force a faster fetch of the image by changing the image URL.
Step 3: Resubmit your product data
- After you’ve updated your product data, resubmit it using one of these methods:
- Next, check that you’ve fixed the issue by making sure it’s no longer listed on the Diagnostics page.
Keep in mind: It may take some time for your change to be reflected on the Diagnostics page.