Register a feed
This content is for the old Feeds experience.
Identify which experience is enabled on your Merchant Center account by looking at the Feeds label on the Products panel. Any accounts with the new Feeds experience will see Feeds (new).
If you see Feeds (new) on your Products panel, click here to view content for your Feeds experience.
In order to upload your product data in Google Merchant Center, a feed for the product data needs to be registered. This step is required for any new feed, and once a feed is registered, you can upload and update the existing feed without having to register it again.
To get started, go to Products in your Merchant Center account and select Feeds from the page menu. Click the plus button to get started. Provide the requested information in the Register a new feed section to continue:
In the Register a new feed section, you'll need to specify several pieces of information about your feed in order to register it:
- Mode: The mode is the status of your feed, and determines whether your feed is processed as a test feed or a standard feed. Only standard feeds are eligible to appear on Google. Use test feeds to check and fix any processing errors and warnings. A test feed must be recreated as a standard feed before the product data can appear on Google.
- Type: The type of data in your feed. For example, you should use the “Products” feed type to submit your Google Shopping product information, and select the “Online Product Inventory Update” feed type to update price and availability attributes for items that have already been submitted. Every feed type has its own format and attribute requirements.
- Target country: A target country is the country where the products in your data feed will be sold. The products uploaded to a selected target country must meet the requirements for the target country you submit to, including the feed specifications and policies.
- Content language: The language you used when creating your product data. If you select a multilingual country (such as Belgium, Canada or Switzerland), you will be presented with the supported content languages of that country for the feed.
- Currency: The currency that the products will be sold in. This may differ from the currency of where your business is located or the target country of the feed.
- Feed name: Enter a descriptive name that helps you identify the feed. The feed name doesn’t need to match the name of the actual file that you’re submitting.
- Input method: There are four input method options:
- Google Sheets: provide us your data using a generated template or by selecting an existing Google spreadsheet that you created.
- Scheduled fetches: Google can fetch your feed directly from your server. (Optional) create a fetch schedule for your feed.
- Regular uploads: Upload files directly to Merchant Center via SFTP, FTP, Google Cloud Storage or manually through the UI. If you use SFTP or FTP or Google Cloud Storage, you’ll need to create an SFTP or FTP account in the SFTP/FTP/GCS section under the 3-dot icon.
- Import from e-commerce platform: Available only if you’ve linked your supported e-commerce platform to your Merchant Center account and automatically import data from there.
- Filename: Depending on which upload method you select, you may be prompted to enter the name of the file that you'll be submitting. This name should exactly match the name of the file that you created and include a valid extension. RSS and Atom files should end with an .xml extension, tab-delimited file with a .txt extension. File names that don't end with any extension will be processed as a tab-delimited (.txt) file by default.
- Advanced Settings → Enable this feed for: By default your products are submitted to Google Shopping and Display destinations (where available). You can choose to add or remove destinations if available. This selection can be edited later by clicking a feed name on the Feeds page and selecting the Settings tab on the page that loads.
- Fetch Schedule and Fetch Settings: a prompt will appear to create an upload schedule and specify from where Google will fetch your file. This information can be edited later by clicking a feed name on the Feeds page and selecting the Schedule tab on the page that loads.
Note: Some of these fields will not be displayed for import feeds from supported e-commerce platforms.
When you've finished specifying your feed settings, click Save. Your feed is now listed in the Feeds page. You can click on your feed name to change your feed settings. We recommend leaving each setting as "auto-detect" if you are unsure about your selection.
Removing a feed
- In your Merchant Center account, got to Products and click on the Feeds page.
- Click the "X" icon next to the feed that you would like to remove.
- Click the Continue button on the prompt window.