Register a data feed
Before you upload your data feed, you'll need to register it in Google Merchant Center to let our system know to expect your file. Registering your feed is required to submit data feeds via any method to Google Merchant Center. You will only need to register a feed the first time that you're going to submit a new feed type to Merchant Center – you can upload and update an existing feed without registering it again.
To register your feed, navigate to the Feeds tab in your Google Merchant Center account and click the + DATA FEED button at the top of the page. This will load the Register a new feed interface.
In the Register a new feed section, you'll need to specify several pieces of information about your feed in order to register it:
- Mode: Decide whether you're creating a test feed or a standard feed. Standard feeds create items eligible for Google Shopping results while test feeds do not. You can use test data feeds to check and fix any processing errors and warnings before submitting the same file as a standard feed.
- Feed type: The type of data that you are submitting in your feed. For example, feeds for Google Shopping contain product information, so the type is "products". Each feed type has its own formatting and attribute requirements.
- Target country: Specify the location where your items are sold. For example, the target country "United States" indicates that your items are available for purchase in the US. The items or data feed uploaded to a selected target country must meet the requirements for the target country that you submit to, including the feed specifications and policies. For example, your data feed needs to list the products in the local language, the product landing pages need to be in the local language and your prices need to be in the currency for the target country.
- Content language: If you select a multilingual country (Belgium, Canada or Switzerland), you will be presented with the target languages of that country for the feed. Select the language that corresponds to the language that you used to describe your product data in this feed.
- Feed name: Enter a descriptive name that helps you understand the content of the feed. The feed name does not need to match the name of the actual file that you're submitting.
- Upload method: There are three upload method options:
- Google Sheets allows you to provide us with your data using a generated template or by selecting an existing Google spreadsheet that you created.
- Automatic upload (scheduled fetch) allows you to create an uploading schedule for a data feed hosted on your website.
- Regular uploads by user allows you to upload files directly to Merchant Center via FTP, Google Cloud Storage or manual uploads. If you use FTP, you'll need to create an FTP account in the FTP tab under Settings. To use Google Cloud Storage, you'll need to have a Cloud Storage account and link it to Merchant Center through the Cloud Storage tab under Settings.
- Filename: Depending on which upload method you select, you may be prompted to enter the name of the file that you'll be submitting. This name should exactly match the name of the file that you created and include a valid extension. RSS and Atom files should end with an .xml extension. Filenames that don't end with any extension will be processed as a tab-delimited (.txt) file by default.
- Which Google Products can use the feed: By default your products are submitted to Google Shopping. You can choose to add or remove other destinations if available. This selection can be edited by clicking a feed name on the Feeds tab and selecting the Settings tab on the page that loads.
- Fetch Schedule and Fetch Settings: If you select the Automatic upload (scheduled fetch) option, you'll be prompted to create an uploading schedule and to specify settings information such as the URL location of your file. This information can be edited by clicking a feed name on the Feeds tab and selecting the Schedule tab on the page that loads.
When you've finished specifying your feed settings, click on the Save button. You'll see your feed listed in your account, including a unique ID number for the feed. You can click on your feed name to change some of the settings of your feed. We recommend leaving each setting as "auto-detect" if you are unsure about your selection.
Removing a feed
- In your Merchant Center account, click on the Feeds tab.
- Click the "X" icon next to the feed that you would like to remove.
- Click the Continue button on the prompt window.