This article explains how to create a feed using the tab-delimited data feed with a spreadsheet program. If you prefer to work with a text editing program, you can skip these steps; just make sure that you follow the format requirements below.
Create your data feed
Step 1: Open your spreadsheet programme
Using a spreadsheet programme such as Microsoft Excel makes it easy to create a feed and convert it to the proper format.
Step 2: Create a header row
On the first row of the spreadsheet, enter the names of the attributes that describe your items, each in its own column. You can list your products to Google Shopping using highly structured information with the help of two types of attributes:
- Required attributes
- Recommended attributes
Any items that are missing required attributes will not be processed successfully. Items missing recommended attributes will still process successfully. We strongly suggest that you include information about those attributes as well to increase the chances that your products will be included in relevant results. Please refer to the table below for an example header row, and refer to the product feed specifications for all the required attributes for your target country:
Step 3: Enter your item information
In the rows below the header row, enter information about your items for the attributes that you've chosen. Each item should be listed in a separate row and its information divided into the appropriate columns. (For example, an item's description should be in the same column as the 'description' header.) You may leave a cell empty if there is no value for an attribute.
|2||123-uk||Toy Bear||A yellow teddy bear||12||new||http://www.example1.co.uk||in stock||http://www.example.co.uk/image1.jpg|
|3||1246||Blender||12-speed, black blender||24.99||used||http://www.example2.co.uk||in stock||http://www.example.com/image2.jpg|
Step 4: Convert your spreadsheet
Most spreadsheet programmes allow you to export data into a tab-delimited file. Either of the options below will create a file with a name ending in the .txt extension. This is the file that you should submit to Google Merchant Center.
- For Microsoft Excel: Save the spreadsheet as tab-delimited text (.txt) by using the Save File as command in the File menu and specifying the format type. In the Save as type drop-down box, select the Text (tab-delimited)(*.txt) option.
- For Google Sheets: You can easily upload your Google spreadsheet and set an ongoing scheduled upload directly in Merchant Center. Alternatively, you can download your file using the following steps: open the File menu, click Download as and then select Tab-separated values (.tsv, current sheet). Select the Save as command from your browser's File menu to save as a .txt text file.
If you've already registered a feed in your Google Merchant Center account, use the same file name that you specified during the set-up process.
Step 5: Submit your data feed
Check that your file meets our format requirements below and submit it to us.
- The file must be tab-delimited plain text.
- The first line of the file is the header – it must contain attribute names separated by tabs.
- One item per line – separate each attribute in that line by a tab.
- Do not include trailing tabs at the end of lines.
- Do not include tabs or line breaks in the attributes themselves.
- For group attributes such as
shipping [delivery]use colon-separated sub-attributes. Learn more about tax and delivery
If an attribute accepts multiple values, you should provide each value separated by a comma, such as
blue, green, redwherever applicable. In attributes where multiple values are accepted, if a comma doesn't indicate a separate value, the value should be surrounded by double quotes. Learn more about quoted attributes
Note that not all attributes support multiple values; for example, you may only provide one
description [description]value. Learn more about the product data specification.