This feature is available with the G Suite Enterprise and G Suite Enterprise for Education editions. For details, see Compare G Suite editions.Through July 1, 2020, G Suite customers can use advanced Hangouts Meet video conference features, such as larger meetings (up to 250 participants), live streaming, and recording. For more information, see Set up Meet to help your team work remotely.
If you use Hangouts Meet and Google Calendar for work or school, you can add view-only live streaming to an event for up to 100,000 people.
Note: Only guests within your organization can view a live stream from your organization. Full participants within your organization can stop and start the stream during the meeting, and record the event. Guests who join to view-only cannot participate in the meeting or control streaming and recording.
Supported viewing browsers
Computer and mobile users can use the latest version of the following browsers to view live stream Meet meetings:
- Chrome Browser
- Microsoft® Edge®
- Mozilla® Firefox®
- Apple® Safari®
- Save time and travel resources by training new staff remotely.
- Allow people to participate in conferences and events they can’t physically attend.
- Record training materials and make them available on demand to students or new employees.
- Host an organization-wide all-hands video meeting with multiple presenters, where other guests are view-only.
- Set up a live stream
- Remove a live stream from an event
- Start and stop a live stream
- Record a live-stream event
- Watch a live-stream event
- Troubleshoot issues for live stream organizers
- Troubleshoot issues with live streaming
- Open Google Calendar.
- Click Create and then More options.
- Add the event details, such as date, time and description.
- Add the guests and rooms that can fully participate in the video meeting.
- You can add up to 250 participants. All guests added to this event can be seen, heard and present their screen.
- People from other organizations can be added, but only people in your organization can record and control streaming.
- For example, use this event to invite the speakers for your organization’s all-hands meeting.
- Select Add conferencing Hangouts Meet to add the video meeting.
- Next to Join Hangouts Meet, click the Down arrowAdd live stream.
- To invite view-only guests, select an option:
- Click Copy and share the live stream URL in an email or chat message.
- Continue to Part 2: Create an additional event for view-only guests.
Note: Only guests within your organization can view the live stream. You can add up to 100,000 view-only guests.
- Click Save.
- During the meeting, select MoreStart streaming. Streaming does not automatically start.
To invite specific people to the view-only live stream, create a view-only event. The event is added to their Calendar and includes the link for view-only guests. You can add up to 100,000 view-only guests.
People invited to this event are not seen or heard in the meeting, and cannot present, record or control streaming.
- Open Google Calendar and click the live stream event.
- Single-click the live stream event you previously created and click Edit .
- At the top, click More actions Create view-only event.
- Add guests or rooms for view-only access, and other details such as a description.
- Click Save.
- Click Send.
- Open Google Calendar.
- Single-click the live stream event and click Edit .
- Next to Join Hangouts Meet, click the Down arrowRemove live stream.
- Click Save.
Note: The meeting link changes when you add or remove live streaming. Be sure to share the updated link with your guests.
Any participant in the same organization as the meeting organizer can start or stop the live stream, if enabled by a G Suite administrator.
You can start or stop the live stream if you are in the same organization as the meeting organizer and joined as a full participant. Guests who join to view-only cannot control the live stream.
- Open Google Calendar and join the video meeting.
- Select MoreStart streaming.
- Confirm that you want to start streaming.
When streaming is on, at the top left, you’ll see Live. View-only guests can now watch the meeting using the stream URL.
- Select MoreStop streaming to stop streaming.
- Confirm that you want to stop streaming.
Full participants from the same organization as the meeting organizer can record the live stream so people can watch the event after the meeting ends. Live-stream events are not automatically recorded, so you must manually start and stop recording. See Record a video meeting.
Guests who join to view-only cannot control recording.
People using the live-stream link cannot interact with the meeting participants or others watching the live stream.
To watch a live-stream event, guests can:
- Click the live-stream link in the Calendar event or an email.
- Watch from a meeting room that is added to the event and set up with Chromebox or Chromebase for meetings.
When you watch a live-stream event, you can:
- Stop and start the live playback.
- Adjust the playback speed and video quality.
- Play the video on a TV.
- Switch to full-screen mode.
Note: To watch the event later, ask the meeting organizer if a recording is available. The live-stream can only be viewed while being broadcast live.