In-house and cross-domain live streaming is available with these Google Workspace editions:
- Enterprise Starter
- Enterprise Plus
- Enterprise Standard
- Education Plus
- Teaching and Learning Upgrade
If live streaming is on for your work or school account, you can let people in your organisation watch your video meetings.With cross-domain live streaming, admins can also allow up to 50 different trusted workspace sub-domains to join their live streams. The maximum number of live stream viewers depends on your Google Workspace edition.
Tip: If you’re a Google Workspace administrator who manages Google Meet for your organisation, first allow live streaming.
Who can view a live stream
Only guests in your organisation can view a live stream. All participants in your organisation can stop and start the stream during the meeting and record the event. Guests who join as 'view-only' can’t participate in the meeting or control streaming and recording.
Tip: Live stream organisers will see a viewer count at the top of their screen. The live stream counter will show every new viewer until the first 100 users. After 100 users, it will round to the nearest five.
Supported Meet browsers
You can use these browsers to view live-stream meetings:
- Chrome Browser
- Microsoft® Edge®
- Mozilla® Firefox®
- Apple® Safari®
What you can share via live stream with Meet
- Real-time employee and staff training
- Academic information with students
- Conference materials that can’t be shared in person.
- Organisation-wide presentations with multiple presenters
- Guests may be designated as view-only
- Open Google Calendar.
- ClickCreateeventMore options.
- Add the event details, such as date, time and description.
- Add the guests that can fully participate in the video meeting.
- All guests added to this event can be seen, heard and can present their screen.
- People from other organisations and trusted domains can be added. Only people in your organisation can record and control streaming.
- Next to Join with Google Meet, click the down arrowAdd live stream.
- Click Add live stream again to confirm.
- Click SaveSend.
Note: Streaming does not automatically start. During the meeting, at the bottom right, clickLive streamingStart streaming.
To invite specific people to the view-only live stream, create a view-only event. The event is added to their Calendar and includes the link for view-only guests.
People invited to the event are not seen or heard in the meeting, and can’t present, record or control streaming.
Tip: If invited, view-only guests can join live streams, even if their accounts don't support live streaming or their organisations have live streaming turned off.
- Open Google Calendar.
- Click the live stream event that you created Edit .
- At the top, click More actionsCreate view-only event.
- Add guests or rooms for view-only access and other details such as a description.
- Click Save Send.
- Open Google Calendar.
- Click the live stream event Edit .
- Next to Join with Google Meet, click the down arrow Remove live stream.
- Click Save.
Tip: The meeting link changes when you add or remove live streaming. Be sure that you share the updated link with your guests.
If allowed by an administrator, any participant in the same organisation as the meeting organiser can start or stop the live stream.
|Can start or stop a live stream||View only, can’t control live stream|
|You’re in the same organisation as the live steam organiser||Guests who join view-only|
|You’re allowed in live stream by an administrator|
|You’ve joined as a full participant|
- Open Google Calendar and join the video meeting.
- Select More Start streaming.
- Confirm that you want to start streaming. 'Live' is indicated at the top left when streaming is on. View-only guests can now watch the meeting using the stream URL.
- Select More Stop streaming.
- Confirm that you want to stop streaming.
Full participants from the same organisation as the meeting organiser can record the live stream so that people can watch the event after the meeting ends. Live-stream events aren't automatically recorded, so you must manually start and stop recording. Learn how to record a video meeting.
Guests who join 'view-only' cannot control recording.
Tip: People using the live-stream link cannot interact with the meeting participants or others in the live stream.
To watch a live-stream event, guests can:
- Click the live-stream link in the Calendar event or an email.
- Watch from a meeting room that is added to the event and set up with Chromebox or Chromebase for meetings.
When you watch a live-stream event, you can:
- Stop and start the live playback.
- Set the playback speed and video quality.
- Play the video on a TV.
- Switch to full-screen mode.
Tip: To watch the event later, ask the meeting organiser if a recording is available. The live stream can only be viewed while being broadcast live.
To use captions for your live-stream event, meeting participants should first turn on live-stream captions from the main meeting. Live-stream captions will appear in the same language as set in the meeting and are available in English, German, French, Spanish and Portuguese.
For meeting participants:
- Join a meeting with live streaming turned on.
- At the bottom right, click Activities Live streaming.
- Select the language for captions from the menu click Start streaming.
For live-stream viewers:
- On your computer, on the live-stream viewer, click Turn on captions or Turn off captions .
- On your mobile device, on the live-stream viewer, at the top right, tap Menu Subtitles.
- Troubleshoot issues with live streaming
- Troubleshoot issues for live stream organisers
- Use hardware to live stream video meetings