Use Ad Preview to validate your ad
Ad Preview is a simple and flexible way to validate your hotel ads.
This section includes the following topics:
- Hotel status: Ensure that a hotel is participating in Hotel Ads auctions.
- Deep links: Check that links to your booking pages are generated correctly.
- Points of sale: Check that Google uses the appropriate Point of Sale (POS), based on your test settings.
- Ad information: Check your bid strategy and spend.
Ad Preview lets you customize searches so that you can validate your hotel using a variety of scenarios. Custom conditions include the itinerary, the Google site on which the ads would be displayed, and available rates, including room bundles and fenced rates. They also include information about the end-user, such as the end-user's device type, default language, and country from which they searched.
- Ad Preview now shows you current bidding strategy including any multipliers associated with the Hotel ID.
- The preview tool will show whether the hotel is associated with a campaign and ad group.
- The preview is available at the account level, but isn't accessible in campaign mode.
- The preview allows diagnosis for non-base rate prices, such as fenced rates and room bundles.
To validate a hotel's ad with the Ad Preview :
- Open Hotel Ads Center in a browser.
- Select the Dashboard tab (the default).
- In the "View By" button select Hotel ID.
- Click the hotel in the list that you want to test. You cannot preview ads for hotel hroups or more than one hotel at a time.
- Click the Ad Preview button.
- You'll see the "Ad Preview and Diagnostics" view, which indicates whether the ad with the default settings is currently displaying. The following example shows a successful preview:
- If the preview fails, the "Showing Right Now?" field will indicate "No."
- If you failed to generate a preview, fill in the fields in the "Customize your ad" section.
In the "Customize your ad" section of Ad Preview, you can enter or edit information on hotel itineraries, where the customer sees the ad, and information on user languages, user countries, and fenced rates:
- Check in/out: A range of values that represent the simulated itinerary. The default value is a one-night stay that occurs two weeks from the current date.
- Google Site: Select the Google property from which the hypothetical customer sees the ad. Possible values are:
- "Local Universal" (default selection). Simulates results from an organic search, typically by searching on google.com.
- "Map Results": Simulates a search from maps.google.com.
- "Place Page": Simulates a search from a G+ place page.
- Device: Select the type of hardware that the hypothetical customer conducted the search on. Possible values are:
- "Desktop" (default selection)
- User language: Enter the hypothetical customer's language. The default is "English."
- User country: Enter the country from which a hypothetical customer used Google.com to search. The default location is "United States."
- User currency: Enter the hotel price currency a hypothetical customer would see.
- Fenced Rate: Enter a fenced rate if applicable for a hypothetical customer. Note: Setting a fenced rate input in Ad Preview ignores other query parameters, such as country, language, and currency.
Preview your ad
To preview your ad, fill in the fields in the "Customize your ad" section if you haven't already, then click the Preview button. The Ad Preview generates data about the hotel based on your selections. In addition to the details you entered before preview, you'll see information in the "Related data" field and "View your ad" field.
About the "Related data" field
This field in Ad Preview contains the following information:
- Matched POS: The ID of the Point of Sale (POS) that this ad uses when served. If you have multiple booking sites, then the ID is determined by using Google's Point of Sale matching rules.
- Landing page: The URL that the hypothetical end-user is sent to if they clicked on the hotel's ad. Also known as a booking link or POS URL.
- To conform to Google's policies, the deep link should:
- Standard rooms: Point to a page where the hotel name and price are clearly listed.
- Room Bundle rates: Point to a page where the Room Bundle name and price are listed. The appropriate room package should be either pre-selected or highlighted.
- In both cases, the resulting booking page should be the location that the end-user can book the room without navigating to a different website or selecting the hotel again.
- In some cases, a negative status can prevent Google from generating the Deep Link URL or determining a matching point of sale ID.
- For information about how your deep link is generated, see Building Dynamic POS URLs.
- Expected price: The expected price for the itinerary.
About the "Ad information" field
- Showing Right Now?: Indicates the status of the hotel. A value of "Yes" indicates that the hotel is shown. A value of "No" indicates the hotel isn't shown. If the value is "No," Ad Preview displays potential reasons for the failure. For a list of status messages, see Status Messages.
- Bid strategy: The bid strategy the hotel ad will use when served.
- Base bid: The starting bid for the ad, if applicable.
- Effective bid: The closing bid for the ad auction, if applicable, after any bid multipliers.
- Close rate rule: The qualified rates offered with the hotel ad. Learn more about qualified rates.
- Fenced rate: The fenced rate associated with the hotel ad.
- Campaign name: The campaign associated with the hotel ad.
- Ad group: The ad group associated with the hotel ad.
- Room bundle: The room bundles associated with the hotel ad for the itinerary specified.
- Bid multiplier: The bid multiplier used with the hotel ad, if applicable.
In the "View your ad" field, you'll find links to see how your ad appeared on different Google sites:
Search result: How the hotel ad will appear in Google Search.
Map result: How the hotel ad will appear in Google Maps.
Landing page: An image of the landing page for the hotel ad.
To try a new search for the same hotel with different options, change the options and click the Preview button again.
The value of "Showing Right Now?" indicates the hotel's status. A value of "No" (followed by a status message) indicates that the hotel is not showing in the results. The following example shows a hotel that is not being shown:
In some cases, Ad Preview is unable to generate a deep link for the ad or determine a matching point of sale.
The following table describes the status messages:
|Status message||More information|
|"Not showing due to insufficient bid. Try raising your bid."||See Bidding User Guide.|
|"Not showing due to invalid bid. Try updating your bid via the Hotel Ads Center, or validating your bids XML file."||See Bidding User Guide or use the Feed Validation.|
|"Your daily spending cap has been reached. Increase your budget to maximize your ad's reach."||See Budgeting Guide.|
|"Your account is not active yet."||Contact Google using the contact form.|
|"Price not available for this itinerary."||Check that your prices are available by using Show Hotel Prices. This displays the prices in the Google cache for the various itineraries from the current date forward.
You can also enter different dates for your hypothetical itinerary and click the Preview button again. You can also use the Feed Status to check for price feed errors, or check that your price feed is configured to provide prices for this itinerary.
|"Hotel has been suspended."||See Price Accuracy Policy or Price Violations.|
|"No matching Point of Sale could be found."||See POS Matching Rules.|
|"Price for this itinerary is restricted to a closed user group."||The price is restricted because it uses Fenced Rates.|
|"Price for this itinerary has incomplete tax & fee data."||See Price Accuracy Policy or Taxes and Fees Policy.|
|"Price not available for partner"||Either no price has been supplied to Google matching the selected itinerary or a price has been provided, but in the wrong format and is considered invalid & unavailable.|
|"Your account is not active yet."||Check the Onboarding tab to see which of your feeds need attention.|
|"Could not convert price for currency."||The price provided had an invalid currency code during conversion. Go to Feed Status to check feeds.|
|"Price for this itinerary is restricted by a rate rule."||The price is restricted because it uses Fenced Rates.|
|"Price for this itinerary has been marked as unavailable."||Check your Price Configuration to set the hotel as available.|