Some games autosave your progress when you're signed in with Google Play Games. If your game autosaves, you can sync your game data and pick up where you left off. If you get a new Android phone, to restore game progress, sign in to the same account you used before.
How to restore game progress in Play Games
If your game is missing your progress, check if your game is using Google Play Games, and make sure you're signed in to the correct account. Try these steps:
- On your Android phone or tablet, open the Play Store app .
- Search for the game and open its detail page.
- Under the preview images, tap Read more. At the bottom, look for "Uses Google Play Games."
- If it uses Google Play Games, open the game and find the "Achievements" or "Leaderboards" screen.
- If you can't find Achievements or Leaderboards, follow the steps to clear storage below. In step 3, select the game in place of Google Play Games.
- On the "Achievements" or "Leaderboards" screen, to see which account you’re using, at the top, tap your profile image.
- If this account doesn't match the account you were using before, go back and tap More Sign out.
- Re-open the game and sign into the correct account.
Tip: Not all games automatically save your progress. If these steps don’t work for you, contact the developer directly.
How to prevent loss of game progress
- On your Android phone or tablet, open the Play Games app .
- At the top, tap More Settings.
- Under your Gamer ID, you'll see which account is signed in.
- If the account info is incorrect: tap your email address, then select the correct account.
- Turn on “Automatically sign in to supported games.” You’ll be signed in to new games with this account.
Fix problems with Google Play Instant
Games designed for Google Play Instant have an "Play" or "Try" button that you can open and play instantly without having to install. If you have problems with instant apps, you can try opting out and opting in again. Learn how to opt in and out.
Fix other Play Games errors
Clear storage of the Play Games app
- Open your device's Settings app.
- Tap Apps & notifications See all apps.
- Scroll down and tap Google Play Games.
- Tap Storage Clear storage.
- Reopen the Play Games app.
You can also retry these steps and select Google Play services or the game that you are having trouble with.
Restart your device
- Press and hold the Power button until the menu pops up.
- Tap Power off or Restart if that is an option.
- If needed, press and hold the Power button until your device turns on again.
If you're still having trouble
If these steps don’t work, see other troubleshooting steps.