Fix missing saved games progress and other Play Games errors
Some games autosave your progress when you're signed in with Google Play Games. If your game autosaves, you'll be able to continue playing the game where you left off. Even if you change phones and when you sign in to the same account you have used previously.
Note: If an app can save your progress, you will be asked to sign in at the “Details” page.
Restore your saved game progress
If your game is missing your progress, check if your game is using Google Play Games, and make sure you're signed in to the correct account. Try these steps:
- Open the Play Store appon your Android phone or tablet and search for the game.
- Tap on Read more underneath the screenshots and look for "Uses Google Play Games" at the bottom of the screen.
- Once you have confirmed that the game uses Google Play Games, open the game and find the Achievements or Leaderboards screen.
- If you can't find Achievements or Leaderboards, follow the steps to clear storage below. In step 3, select the game you are having trouble with in place of Google Play Games.
- On the Achievements or Leaderboards screen, tap on your profile image in the upper left to see which account you are using.
- If this account doesn't match the account you were using previously, go back to the Achievements or Leaderboards screen and tap MoreSign out.
- Re-open the game and sign into the correct account.
Note: Not all games automatically save your progress. If these steps don’t work for you, contact the developer directly.
To prevent this problem from happening again, you can also choose the default account that'll be used for logging in to all future games:
- On your Android phone or tablet, open the Play Games app .
- At the top, tap MoreSettings.
- Under your Gamer ID, you'll see what account you're using.
- Make sure this is the same account you were using previously. If it's not, tap on your email address to change or add the correct account.
- Once you selected the correct account, turn on Automatically sign in to supported games.
- If you have multiple accounts added, turn on Sign in to games with this account.
Fix problems with Google Play Instant
Games designed for Google Play Instant have a "Try" button that you can open and try playing instantly without having to install. If you have problems with instant apps, you can try opting out and opting in again. Learn how to opt in and out.
Fix other Play Games errors
If you have trouble opening the Play Games app or see errors when using it you can try these steps.
Open your device's Settings app.
Tap Apps & notificationsSee all apps.
Scroll down and tap Google Play Games.
Tap StorageClear storage.
Reopen the Play Games app.
You can also retry these steps and select Google Play services or the game that you are having trouble with.
Restart your device
- Press and hold the Power button until the menu pops up.
- Tap Power off or Restart if that is an option.
- If needed, press and hold the Power button until your device turns on again.
If you're still having trouble
If these steps don't work, see other troubleshooting steps.