Keep an eye on what matters by streaming your security camera on your TV using Google Nest or Home speaker or display, and Chromecast or a TV with Chromecast built-in.
What you need
- Security camera setup with the partner app
- Google Nest or Home speaker or display
Step 1. Set up your security camera
Set up your security camera by following the steps provided by the device maker. Learn how to set up your camera with the Nest app.
Step 2. Set up your device
If you haven't set up your Chromecast and speaker or display, follow the steps below. If you've already set up these devices, you can skip this step.
Step 3. Connect your security camera to your speaker or display
- Open the Google Home app .
Verify that the Google Account shown is the one linked to your speaker or display. To switch accounts, tap another account or Add another account.
- Make sure your security camera is on the same Wi-Fi network as your speaker or display.
- Verify that the home listed is the one you want to pair your security camera to. To switch between homes, click the triangle to the right of the home name.
- At the top left corner, tap Add Set up device Works with Google.
- Tap the device to pair.
- When the pairing is complete, tap Done.
Note: If you've already set up a Nest Thermostat, you may have to unlink and relink your Nest account to view your Nest cam(s).
Step 4. Link TVs using the Google Home app
Note: The following steps are optional if you only want to control your TV with your mobile device or tablet. However, if you want to control your TV using voice commands through your speaker or display, follow the steps below.
- Make sure your mobile device or tablet is connected to the same Wi-Fi or linked to the same account as your Chromecast, or speaker or display.
- Open the Google Home app .
- At the top right, tap your account.
- Verify that the Google Account shown is the one linked to your speaker or display. To switch accounts, tap another account or Add another account.
- Go back to the home screen, then tap your Chromecast or TV with Chromecast built-in.
- At the top right, tap Settings Recognition & sharing.
- Look for a banner at the top of the page that says “Enable voice control and more.”
- If the banner appears, tap it and follow the steps to link your TV.
- If the banner doesn't appear but your email address appears under “Linked account(s),” your TV is already linked.
Note: If you get an "Error when linking device" error message, you must factory reset your Chromecast device.
Step 5. Use voice commands to stream your security camera to your TV
To do this:
Say "Ok Google" or "Hey Google," then:
"Show [camera name]"
"What’s on [camera name]?"
"[Camera name] on [Chromecast device name]"
"Play [camera name] on [Chromecast device name]"
"Show [camera name] on [Chromecast device name]"
"Stop [TV or Chromecast device name]"
Fix a problem
"HA Cast" error when streaming an Arlo camera to your TV
If an "HA Cast" error message appears on your TV when streaming an Arlo camera, try the following workaround:
- Turn off the motion-detection recording setting on your camera.
- Try to stream again.
Arlo is currently working on a fix for this issue.