To provide a comprehensive and consolidated view of your content targeting and make content targeting management and optimization simpler, you’ll see the following improvements in Google Ads:
All types of content targeting can now be found under “Content” in the side navigation:
- "Topics", "Placements", "Display/Video keywords", and "Exclusions" for all types of content targeting are now categorized under the "Content" tab in the side navigation menu. For "Exclusions", click the drop-down arrow to the right of the term "Exclusions" to select exclusions for topics, placements or Display/Video keywords.
Soon, you’ll see further improvements:
- "Topics", "Placements", "Display/Video keywords" will be consolidated into a single "Content" page and report. Exclusions will also be consolidated into a single report in the same page ("Content").
- Your ads will target any of your selected content in your ad group. For example, if you targeted “bikes” as a topic and “cycling” as a Display/Video keyword, your ads will show on content that matches either.
Until your account is migrated, we recommend that you only use one content targeting method (topics, placements, OR Display/Video keywords) per ad group. Before the upcoming changes, combining methods can limit campaign performance.
A targeting method you can use to specifically choose websites, videos, channels, apps, and app categories that are part of YouTube and the Display Network where you'd like to show your ads. Unlike other targeting methods, where your ads are placed on sites automatically for you (like keyword targeting or topic targeting), you select the placements yourself.
- Placement targeting is an optional feature that can help you have more control over the websites, videos, channels, apps, and app categories that can show your ads.
- You can use placement targeting to assign a unique bid to a specific webpage. If your ad performs well when it shows on a certain webpage, you could add it as a placement and set a higher bid. By adding the placement using the “Change bid adjustment” setting, you can make your bid more competitive just for that particular placement, and still show on other placements based on additional targeting methods, such as keywords and topics.
- As a result of using both placement targeting and additional targeting methods, you might find both automatic placements (websites, videos, and apps automatically chosen to match your other targeting methods like topics and keywords) and targeted placements on your "Placements" page in Google Ads.