Enhanced conversions is a feature that can improve the accuracy of your conversion measurement. It supplements your existing conversion tags by sending hashed first-party conversion data from your website to Google in a way that safeguards privacy. The feature uses a secure one-way hashing algorithm called SHA256 on your first-party customer data, such as email addresses, before sending to Google. The hashed data are then matched with signed-in Google Accounts to attribute your campaign conversions to ad events, such as clicks or views.
When you’re ready, you can follow the instructions in Set up enhanced conversions manually with Google Tag Manager or Set up enhanced conversions manually with the global site tag. Enhanced conversions may be automatically available to you. If you don’t see the enhanced conversion option when following the set up instructions, you’ll need to contact your Google representative.
Note: Google is committed to protecting the confidentiality and security of your data. We'll keep your data confidential and secure using the same industry-leading standards we use to protect our own users’ data. We only report aggregated and anonymised conversions. You can read more about enhanced conversions customer data policies and how we use your data.
How it works
When a customer completes a conversion on your website, you may receive first-party customer data such as an email address, name, home address and/or phone number. This data can be captured in your conversion tracking tags, hashed, sent to Google in its hashed form and then used to match your customers to Google Accounts, which customers were signed in to when they engaged with one of your ads.
This data will be used to improve the reporting of the online conversions driven by ad interactions. We use the SHA256 algorithm for hashing your customer data, which is the industry standard for one-way hashing of data.
You can set up enhanced conversions tags in two ways:
- Google Tag Manager: Google Tag Manager is a tag management system that allows you to quickly and easily update tags and code snippets on your website. If you currently use Google Tag Manager for conversion tracking, you can set up enhanced conversions manually Google Tag Manager with only slight changes to your configuration.
- The global site tag: If you currently have conversion tracking implemented using Google’s global site tag directly on your page (not within a third-party tool or iFrame), you can set up enhanced conversions manually with your global site tag by making slight changes to your configuration.
Note: Enhanced conversions will only work for conversion types where customer data like subscriptions, sign-ups and purchases are present. One or more of the following pieces of customer data must be available:
- Email address (preferred)
- Name and home address (street address, city, state/region and postcode)
- Phone number (must be provided in addition to one of the other two pieces of information above)