Enhanced conversions for leads uses first-party user-provided data from your website to measure sales and transactions that happen off your website. If you run lead-generation campaigns to drive offline sales, enhanced conversions for leads can help you understand the impact of your ad spend.
Unlike the current version of offline conversion tracking, this version of offline conversion tracking doesn’t require you to modify your lead forms or customer relations management (CRM) systems to store Google Click ID (GCLID). Instead, it uses user-provided data from your website leads to measure conversions.
This article explains how to use the global site tag to set up enhanced conversions for leads measurement on your website using the global site tag. If you use Google Tag Manager, view set up enhanced conversions for leads using Google Tag Manager. If you want to learn more about the benefits of enhanced conversions for leads and how they work, read About enhanced conversions.
Before you begin
Before setting up enhanced conversions for leads, you’ll need to identify your website lead forms and pick a field from the form that uniquely identifies your leads. At least one of the following variables must be provided when you configure enhanced conversions for leads on your website and when you later import the conversions:
- Email (preferred)
- A phone number
We recommend using the lead's email address because it’s a highly unique identifier and isn’t prone to being reformatted in your CRM. If you're using a phone number, the tag will remove symbols and dashes, but the number must contain country code.
You'll also need to:
- Note the URL where the lead form on your website is located. You may need this information during setup.
- Make sure that auto-tagging is enabled. Auto-tagging is necessary to import offline conversions.
- Make sure that there is first-party customer data available (email and/or phone number) on your website lead form.
- Ensure that you have reviewed and confirmed that you can comply with the customer data policies in Google Ads (view steps on this below).
Here's an overview of the steps for setting up offline conversion imports using enhanced conversions for leads:
- Sign in to your Google Ads account.
- Click the tools icon in the upper right corner of your account.
- Under “Measurement”, click Conversions.
- Click the plus button icon to create a new conversion action.
- Select Import in the new “Conversion action” page.
- Select Other data sources or CRMs and then Track conversions from clicks. Click Continue.
- Enter the settings for this conversion action. For details on the settings, read Set up offline conversion imports.
- Click Create and Continue. The next page will confirm your new conversion action.
- Select Enhanced conversions for leads. If you’re using Google Tag Manager, select Enhanced conversions for leads (via Google Tag Manager).
- Before you can finish, you’ll need to accept the customer data terms and complete the global site tag configuration.
- Next to “Customer data terms”, select View Terms and read the “Policies and Additional Terms for Customer Data”.
- Click the “I have read and accept the terms on behalf of my company” checkbox.
- Click Save. You’ll see your status updated as “Accepted”.
- Next to “Global site tag configuration”, click Configure.
- In the “Details” section, ensure the global site tag is installed on your website.
- In the “Enhanced Measurement” section, ensure you’re collecting form interactions.
- Leads are generated when your website visitors submit a form. We can help you collect form events automatically through your global site tag.
- Click the switch to turn this feature on to start collecting form events.
- In the “Configuration” section, ensure you’ve included user data.
- Click “Include user-provided data from your website”.
- Select how you’d like to include user-provided data:
- Automatic collection. This automatically inspects the page for strings that match a pattern for email addresses. You can also click the “Exclude some CSS selectors from automatic collection” checkbox to limit automatic collection to certain pages, forms or parts of your site.
- If your transactions are related to sensitive categories, you should use manual configuration to ensure that sensitive data isn’t shared with Google.
- To measure website leads that convert offline, your tag can include user-provided data with lead form events to simplify the import process. Configure how the user-provided data is included. Google is committed to protecting the confidentiality and security of the data you share with us. Learn more about customer data policies
- Click Save. You can see your statuses updated.
- Click Done.
Next, you’ll need to import conversions from ad clicks into Google Ads.