TrueView for action campaigns help drive leads and conversions by adding prominent calls-to-action (CTAs), headline text overlays, and an end screen to your video ads. Using this video campaign subtype, you can encourage customers to explore your product or service, share their contact information, and take other actions valuable to your business.
In this article, you’ll learn how to set up a TrueView for action campaign in Google Ads.
Note: Before you can set up a TrueView for action campaign, you need to set up conversion tracking. Learn more about conversion tracking
How it works
TrueView for action campaigns are made up of CTAs, a headline, an end screen, and sitelinks (optional).
- TrueView for action campaigns can be created using the "Sales", "Leads", or "Website traffic" goals. You can use the "Leads", "Sales", and "Website traffic" goals to drive relevant conversions on your website and increase your website’s overall number of unique visitors. Each goal features automated bidding and targeting so that you can optimize your campaign’s performance.
- TrueView for action campaigns are available for video campaigns on YouTube.
- TrueView for action campaigns can only run on the in-stream ad format. This means that the ads play before, during, or after another video on YouTube or Google video partners. These ads also give viewers the option to skip the ad after 5 seconds.
- The video should be at least 10 seconds or longer. If you’d like to show an auto end screen at the end of the video, then your video should be at least 15 seconds or longer.
- Headlines can contain up to 15 characters and is the primary line of text next to your video ad.
- Headlines promote your product or service.
- TrueView for action campaigns can include up to 4 sitelinks.
- CTAs can contain up to 10 characters and appears alongside your headline.
- CTAs direct people to the website you specify as your final URL.
- TrueView for action campaign ads can increase viewer engagement and encourage people to take action after your video plays.
- End screens display after a viewer reaches the end of your ad. End screens display for 5 seconds on mobile devices, and 7 seconds on desktop computers.
- End screens are generated automatically based on your YouTube channel.
Below, you’ll find instructions for how to set up a TrueView for action campaign in Google Ads.
- Sign in to your Google Ads account.
- In the page menu on the left, click Campaigns.
- Click the plus button , then select New campaign.
- Select the Sales, Leads, or Website traffic goal.
- Select the Video campaign type.
- Click Continue.
- Enter a name for your campaign.
- In the “Bidding strategy” section, set your bid strategy to Maximize conversions or Target CPA. If you select Target CPA, set the target amount you’re willing to spend for a conversion.
- In the “Budget and dates” section, set your budget type, the start and end date for the campaign, and the budget delivery method.
- For the budget type, select Daily (the average amount you’d like to spend each day) or Campaign (the total budget you’d like to spend for the duration of the campaign) and enter the amount you’d like to spend.
- For the budget delivery method, select Standard (to spend your budget evenly over time) or Accelerated (to spend your budget as quickly as possible). If you select Accelerated, your budget may run out early.
- Under “Networks,” select where you want your TrueView for action campaign to appear. Provided your campaign is eligible, you can choose one or more of the following networks:
- YouTube videos: Ads can appear on YouTube videos, channel pages, and the YouTube homepage. You can use in‑stream ads.
- Video partners on the Display Network: Ads can appear on Google video partner sites and apps.
- Select the languages and the locations you want your campaign to target.
- Choose your content exclusion settings to define where your campaign runs.
- (Optional) Click Additional settings to target specific devices, set a frequency cap, and set a schedule for the ad.
- Enter a name for your ad group.
- Choose the demographics and audience types you want to reach.
- Choose the keywords, topics, and placements where you want your ads to show.
- If available, set your bid amount.
- In the “Create your video ad” section, search for a video you’ve uploaded, or enter the video URL from YouTube. “In-stream ad” is automatically selected as the ad format.
- The video used in the ad should be at least 10 seconds or longer.
- Enter the final URL, which is the landing page you want people to reach when they click your ad.
- Enter the display URL, which can be a shorter version of the final URL, or the same as the final URL.
- Enter a call-to-action, which should be compelling and direct people to the website specified in the final URL.
- Enter a headline, which will appear as the primary line of text that promotes your product or service.
- (Optional) Click Ad URL options (advanced) to add a tracking template, final URL suffix, or custom parameters to the final URL.
- Select either an image that's automatically generated from the videos in your YouTube channel (recommended) or an image that you manually upload as your companion banner. Companion banners appear on computers only.
- Enter a name for your ad.
- Click Save and continue.