Before you begin
Recommendations for Google Ads manager accounts
In the new Google Ads experience, it's easier to use recommendations to help improve the accounts you manage. Now, instead of signing in to each individual account you manage, just sign in to your manager account and go to the Recommendations page to see the available recommendations across your managed accounts.
Ads and extensions
"Ads and extensions" recommendations help you refine your ads, create new ads, show your best ads most often, and organize your ads into better ad groups. Extensions recommendation types, in particular, help maximize the performance of your ads and can improve your ads’ click through rates. You might see these recommendations:
See all recommendations
- Add ad suggestions: Try new versions of your ads and let the best ones show.
- Add assets to your responsive search ads: Help your responsive search ads perform optimally by adding headlines and descriptions from your text ads.
- Add call extensions to your ads: Make your ads more prominent and improve your CTR.
- Add callouts to your ads: Make your ads more prominent and improve your CTR.
- Add descriptions to your sitelinks: Make your ads prominent by using sitelink descriptions.
- Add price extensions to your ads: Make your ads more prominent and improve your CTR.
- Add responsive display ads: Get more conversions at a similar CPA with responsive display ads, which automatically adapt to fit available ad spaces.
- Add responsive search ads: Show more relevant ads to potential customers by creating responsive search ads.
- Add sitelink extensions to your ads: Make your ads more prominent and improve your CTR
- Add structured snippet extensions to your ads: Make your ads more prominent and improve your CTR.
- Add a video ad: Reach additional users for your app on YouTube, Google Play, and in partner apps and mobile sites.
- Create new, more relevant ads: Make your ads more relevant by including your keywords in your ad text.
- Create new versions of your ads: Try new versions of your ads and let the best ones show.
- Improve your responsive search ads: Get more clicks on your responsive search ads by improving your headlines and descriptions.
- Review your keyword match types: Show your ads only on searches relevant to your business by trying additional keyword match types.
- Test new ad text for repeatedly used phrases: Improve your ad performance by testing new ad text for phrases used repeatedly in your text ads.
- Use optimized ad rotation: Automatically show your best ads at auction time.
“Automated campaign" recommendations simplify campaign management and help maximize performance through automated bidding, targeting, and ad creation. You might see these recommendations:
See all recommendations
- Create a local campaign: Drive more visits to your business locations with a Local campaign.
- Create a Smart display campaign: Pay only for conversions at the CPA you set with a Smart display campaign.
- Switch to Smart Shopping campaigns: Get more conversion value at a similar cost with Smart Shopping campaigns.
Bidding and budgets
"Bidding and budgets" recommendations can help you find the right bid strategy to meet your business goals, and help ensure your campaigns are not limited by budget. You might see these recommendations:
See all recommendations
- Adjust your budgets: Get more conversions by adjusting your budgets in your Maximize Conversions campaigns.
- Adjust your CPA targets: Get more conversions by adjusting to your CPA targets.
- Bid more efficiently with Enhanced CPC: Automatically optimize your bids at auction time for searches more likely to lead to conversions.
- Bid more efficiently with Maximize clicks: Get more clicks at a similar cost with a fully automated bid strategy.
- Bid more efficiently with Maximize conversions: Get more conversions at a similar cost with a fully automated bid strategy.
- Bid more efficiently with Target CPA: Get more conversions at a lower or similar CPA with a fully automated bid strategy.
- Bid more efficiently with Target impression share: Optimize for your ads' visibility with a fully automated bid strategy.
- Bid more efficiently with Target ROAS: Get more conversion value at a similar ROAS with a fully automated bid strategy.
- Move unused budgets: Your ads stopped running on your busiest days. Get more traffic by moving unused budget to the ads that need it most.
- Raise your budgets: Keep your ads running on your busiest days by fixing your limited budget.
- Raise your budgets for upcoming traffic increases: Your ads may stop running on your busiest days due to an expected future increase in traffic. Raise your budget now to avoid missing out on potential customers.
- Set up conversion tracking: See which of your clicks turn into customers and access features such as automated bidding.
- Set up in-app conversion tracking: See which of your clicks lead to valuable customer actions in your app.
- Upgrade your conversion tracking with data-driven attribution: Give credit for conversions across multiple ad interactions with data-driven attribution.
Keywords and targeting
"Keywords and targeting" recommendations can help you reach more people who are interested in what you offer. You might see these recommendations:
See all recommendations
- Add audiences: Get more insightful reporting at no extra cost.
- Add negative keywords: Reduce wasted spend by not showing on searches that are irrelevant to your business.
- Add new keywords: Show your ads more often to people searching for what your business offers.
- Add phrase or broad match versions of your keywords: Show your ads on more searches relevant to your business.
- Create Dynamic Search Ads: Show your ads on searches relevant to your business that you may be missing with your keyword-based campaigns.
- Expand your reach with Google search partners: Reach additional customers at a lower CPC on YouTube and partner sites.
- Pause poorly performing keywords: Reduce wasted spend on keywords that perform poorly.
- Remove conflicting negative keywords: People didn't see your ads because of conflicting negative keywords. Remove them so your ads can show.
- Remove non-serving keywords: Make your account easier to manage by removing non-serving keywords.
- Remove redundant keywords: Make your account easier to manage by removing redundant keywords.
- Set up audience sources: Access remarketing features to increase your ROI by showing more impactful and personalized ads.
- Upload customer lists: Access remarketing features to increase your ROI by showing more impactful and personalized ads.
- Use targeting expansion: Reach additional customers at a similar cost per conversion.
- Expand your reach with Google video partners: Reach additional customers on partner sites and apps.
"Repairs" recommendations help you fix issues with your account and improve the overall health and performance of your account. You might see these recommendations:
See all recommendations
- Add ads to each ad group: Get your ads running by adding ads to each ad group.
- Add items to your feed: You have campaigns that can't serve dynamic ads. Fix this by adding items to your feed.
- Add a feed to your campaign: Show personalized ads by adding a feed to your campaign.
- Add keywords to each ad group: Get your ads running by adding keywords to each ad group.
- Add products to your shopping campaigns: Fix campaigns that are not serving by adding products to them.
- Fix certification issues: Your ads are not running because of certification issues. Apply for certification to show your ads.
- Fix disapproved items in your feed: You can't serve dynamic ads using content from disapproved items in your feed. Fix the disapproved items to show more content.
- Fix your ad destinations: Your ads were disapproved because of destination issues. Fix your ad destinations to show your ads.
- Fix your ad text: Your ads were disapproved because of editorial issues. Fix your ad text to show your ads.
- Fix your audience source with no activity: Make sure you aren't missing users on remarketing lists used by your campaigns. Fix the audience source so that users are added to your lists correctly.
- Fix your audience source that's not sending a required parameter: Your campaigns can't tailor dynamic ads based on user activity when your audience source doesn't send the required parameter. Make sure the required parameter is being sent correctly.
- Fix your audience source that's sending a required parameter that doesn't match your feed: Your campaigns can't tailor dynamic ads based on user activity when the required parameter doesn't match your feed. Make sure the audience source is sending the required parameter correctly and your feed has the right items.
- Fix your audience targeting: Ad groups that can no longer serve can start serving when you fix your audience targeting.
- Fix your conversion tracking: You don’t have any website conversion actions that can be used for your automated bid strategy. Add a website conversion action and include it in the “Conversions” column.
- Fix your conversion tracking tag: Make sure you don’t miss any conversions by fixing your conversion tracking tag.
- Fix your conversion action with a conversion rate drop: Make sure you don’t miss any conversions. Fix your conversion tracking.
- Fix your mobile page speed: Improve mobile page speed for a better user experience and more conversions.
- Add products to your shopping campaigns: You have campaigns that can’t serve. Fix this by adding products to your campaigns.
- Improve your mobile site: Avoid losing customers on mobile devices by improving your mobile site.
- Review the drop in items from your feed: Your dynamic ads can’t show content from items that were recently removed from your feed. Review your feed and add any missing items.
Ad suggestions are variations of your existing ads that may boost the performance of your Search Network campaigns. Ad suggestions initially surface in your account on the Recommendations page for you to review, and you can choose to apply or dismiss them.
Download the Google Ads mobile app
Monitor performance and improve your account on the go. The Google Ads mobile app enhances your Google Ads experience and helps you stay connected to your campaigns while on the go. In addition to monitoring your campaigns in real-time, you can review high-impact recommendations to improve performance and take action quickly and easily.
Proposed changes are optimizations recommended by your Google Ads account representative to improve your campaign performance. Proposed changes initially surface in your account on the Recommendations page for you to review. If you agree with these optimizations, you can apply them to your account by clicking Apply all. Learn more about campaign drafts and experiments.
Scoring Paused Campaigns
Once a campaign is paused, the campaign will continue to be scored:
- At the account or MCC level: For the next 7 days, the campaign will continue to be scored as we aggregate scores based on the data from the last 7 days. If the campaign remains paused after 7 days, it will no longer be scored as stats will be reset to zero.
- At the campaign level: For the next 7-90 days, the campaign will continue to be scored, as recommendations are trained on data in a range of 7-90 days (the majority is trained on 28 days). If the campaign remains paused after the data has stopped generating, the recommendation will no longer surface or be scored.
Working with recommendations
To apply a recommendation, click View on the recommendation you want to use, then click Apply. To apply all recommendations of a specific type, click Apply all in the recommendation card. New keywords may need to await review and approval before they are eligible to trigger your ad.
If you apply a recommendation in error, you can undo it in your account's Change history page.
Wait some time before evaluating how your applied recommendations have affected your account’s performance. Keep in mind, an applied recommendation could have a positive impact on your performance even if performance metrics worsen because of other changes you’ve made, seasonality and other factors. All of the changes you’ve made by applying recommendations will appear in your account's Change history page.
You know your products and goals best. If a recommendation doesn't seem relevant to your ad campaign or appropriate for your advertising goals, you can dismiss a single suggestion within a recommendation by hovering over the top right corner of a suggestion, then clicking the “X.” You can also dismiss an entire recommendation by clicking the 3 dot icon in the recommendation card, then selecting Dismiss all.
Why you might not see recommendations
Recommendations won't always be available for every campaign at all times. There are a few common reasons why you might not see recommendations.
- Your account doesn't have any billing information. Find out how to submit your billing information.
- Your account doesn’t have any campaigns, ad groups, or ads. Learn how to create a campaign.
- Your ads aren't receiving any traffic. Learn more about why your ad might not be showing.
- Your ads recently started running.
- Or, best of all: Your campaigns are already optimized.
If you don’t see recommendations in your account, be sure to check back again soon—Google Ads regularly discovers recommendations for you, and also launches new recommendation types.