Create a family on Google
You can create a family group with up to 6 people. When you create the group, you become the family manager.
Create a family
You can create a family group when you:
- Set up Family Library on Google Play
- Visit families.google.com
- Set up family sharing for YouTube TV
- Create a Google Account for a child under 13 that's managed through Family Link
You must be 18 or older (20 in Japan) to manage a family group. If you're younger, a family manager can invite you to join their family group.
You're already in a family group
You can only be part of one family group at a time. To create a new family group, delete your current family group and then create a new one.
Account not supported
You can't create a family with a Google Account from your work, school, or other organization.
Trouble creating family group
You can only change family groups once every 12 months. You'll need to wait 12 months until you can create or join a new family.
If you set up a family payment method, you'll be asked to verify the CVN number for your credit card when you invite people to your family.
As part of this verification, you might see a pending authorization on your credit card statement.
These authorizations happen so Google can make sure the card is valid. These aren't actual charges, and you don’t pay for them.
Authorizations might stay in your account for 1-14 business days. If you still see the pending authorization after 14 business days, contact your bank for more information.
Family member roles
The family manager is the person who creates the family.
The family manager is the only person who can:
- Create & manage accounts for children under 13: The family manager can manage or delete their Google Account.
- Decide who is in the family group: The family manager can add or remove family members.
- Decide which Google services the family can use: The family manager can subscribe or unsubscribe to family services like the Google Play Music family plan.
- Delete the family group: The family manager can delete the family group.
- Set up & manage the family payment method: The family manager is responsible for all purchases made using the family payment method. In Google Play, the family manager can require approval for purchases made by family members under 18.
A family member can join a family group when they're invited by the family manager.
If someone invited you to their family group, learn more about joining a family group.
Google products you can use as a family
Once you've created a family group, you can:
- Use the family payment method: If you set one up, your family can use the family payment method to make purchases on Google Play.
- Use family services: Use or subscribe to family services like Google Play Family Library, Google Play Music family plan, and YouTube TV family plan. Visit families.google.com to check out all the services available for your family.