Create and manage search engine accounts
Run your first sync
After an agency manager or advertiser manager creates a search engine account, any DS user with edit permissions can synchronize (sync) the account. Syncing imports the campaigns that have already been created in the engine.
You'll need to sync each engine account that you create. Syncing is also used if you make changes directly on the engine and need those changes to be reflected in DS.
Prepare for your first sync
- Check the current status of the campaigns, ad groups, and other items in your engine account. DS will only import active or paused items.
- Remove any unwanted campaigns, ad groups, or other items in the engine account.
- In Bing Ads, Yahoo Japan!, and other types of engine accounts other than AdWords, ensure that each keyword has a landing page URL. Landing page URLs for individual keywords are optional for AdWords accounts, but required in all other types of engine accounts.
Prepare URL templates
In engine accounts that support shared templates, you don't need to remove tracking templates in the engine before you sync with DS, nor do you need to manually copy tracking templates into DS. Existing engine templates will be retained and mapped into DS URL templates automatically.
After the first sync
After your first sync, any changes you make to your URL templates in DS will be automatically copied into the corresponding tracking template in the engine. If instead you make changes to the tracking template in the engine, the changes will be copied to the corresponding DS URL template when you sync the account with DS.
Best practice: schedule a sync
To make sure you don't forget to sync changes into DS, follow this best practice:
- Run your first sync and fix all trafficking errors, as described below.
- After you've cleaned up trafficking errors and can manually sync without additional errors, schedule a sync to run automatically on a regular basis, such as nightly.
Navigate to the engine account you want to sync.Steps for navigating to an engine account
Click the navigation bar to display navigation options.
In the Agency list, click on the agency that contains the advertiser. You can search for an agency by name or scroll through the list.
In the Advertiser list, click on the advertiser that contains the engine account.
In the Account list, click on the engine account.
Click Apply or press the Enter key.
DoubleClick Search displays the engine account page.
Click the Campaigns, Ad groups, Keywords, or Ads tab.
Depending on the type of engine account, you can start the sync from some of the other tabs as well. The specific tab that you navigate to doesn't matter: sync applies to the entire engine account regardless of which DS tab you start the sync from.
In the toolbar above the reporting table, click the sync from engine icon .
Don't see the sync from engine icon ? Make sure you navigate to an engine account before you click the Campaigns, Ad groups, Keywords, or Ads tab. The sync button does not appear until you navigate to a specific engine account.
The sync properties appear.
If you want DS to remove any existing trafficking errors for the campaigns, ad groups, ads, and keywords in this engine account, select the check box next to Fix all trafficking errors.
If you leave the check box deselected, you'll still be able to fix the errors after the sync, perhaps through upload.
Click Start sync.
When the Sync status disappears, the sync is complete.
- Click the Last sync details button to see:
- When the sync occurred.
- Number of objects (campaigns, groups, ads, and keywords) on the engine at the time of the sync.
- Number of objects that were changed in DS.
- Number of errors during the sync.
- A link to download additional sync details, which includes:
- The name of the campaign, ad group, ad, or keyword that was modified.
- How the object was modified: added, updated, removed, or trafficked.
In engines that support shared templates, DoubleClick Search (DS) generates and traffics a custom parameter for each new keyword and other trackable item. The custom parameter uniquely identifies the item so DS can attribute conversions and other activity to the item.
For engines that don't support shared templates, DS does the following after the sync completes:
- Generates a clickserver URL for each item.
- Retraffics the items and clickserver URLs back out to the engine. When you view the items in the engine you'll see the DS clickserver URL instead of the landing page URL you defined. Recall that DS keeps a copy of the original landing page URL in its Landing page column.
This applies to any item that defines its own landing page URL except ads. DS does not generate clickserver URLs for ads.
Please keep the following in mind
You can sync active and paused accounts.
Manually sync or schedule syncs for multiple accounts. Even if you schedule the syncs to occur at the same time, the accounts aren't synced simultaneously. The accounts are synced one at a time until the sync operation completes for each individual account.
Sync won't start until all pending operations have been trafficked or received an error. For example, if you just modified a campaign, DS will need to traffic the change to the engine or send an error before the sync can begin.
- Sync will skip:
- Items that DS doesn't support (such as image ads).
- Settings that DS doesn't understand (such as ad scheduling in AdWords).
- Removed campaigns, ad groups, ads, keywords, and other items, including products that have been removed from shopping campaign feeds.
Syncing a large account can last several minutes. Smaller accounts sync more quickly.
Sync imports some types of data more quickly than others. It may take several hours before metrics reported in DoubleClick Search accurately reflect the metrics reported in the engine.
The initial sync imports up to the last 30 days of data and will take longer than subsequent syncs.
Closing the browser window won't affect the sync.
If you sync an account that has some ad copy under editorial review, DS will import the updated ad copy that hasn't yet been approved.
You can't select specific parts of the engine account to sync.
If you create keywords directly in the engine without specifying landing page URLs, during sync DoubleClick Search (DS) does the following depending on the type of engine account:
- AdWords, Bing Ads, and Yahoo! Japan: Nothing. Landing page URLs for keywords are optional in these engine accounts.
- Baidu: If you didn't specify a landing page URL for mobile devices, DS uses the keyword's non-mobile URL. If you didn't specify a non-mobile URL for the keyword, DS copies a random landing page URL from an active ad in the ad group and adds it to the keyword.
- All other engine accounts: DS copies a random landing page URL from an active ad in the ad group and adds it to the keywords.
If you want specific landing pages for your keywords, specify the landing page URLs before running a sync.