A connected TV is any television set used to stream video over the internet. These are most often videos that are streamed via downloaded apps. Connected TV (CTV) includes streaming devices, smart TVs, set top boxes, and gaming consoles.
Connected TV devices and content types
- Streaming devices: devices that connect to a TV screen to display video streams (Roku, Apple TV, etc.)
- Smart TV: TVs with integrated internet connections (Samsung Smart TV, etc.)
- Gaming consoles: internet-connected gaming consoles (Xbox, PlayStation, Wii, etc.)
- Set top boxes: devices delivering traditional cable and video-on-demand (VOD) content.
Connected TV devices can show different types of content, including:
- Over-the-top: TV-like video content delivered by a video provider over the internet.
- Linear / live TV: Traditional television watched as scheduled, delivered through streaming TV apps over the internet rather than traditional broadcast networks.
- Video on demand (VOD): Television programs that stream on demand at the request of the viewer. This is also referred to as "non-live" or "time-shifted" viewing.
Connected TV insertion orders
The Connected TV insertion order offers a streamlined workflow tailored to buying digital TV inventory across screens. This workflow only features options that are relevant for TV ads, with appropriate configurations selected by default.
The following line item types can be added to Connected TV insertion orders:
- Connected TV line items provide access to premium TV inventory.
- YouTube & partners on Connected TV line items serve across YouTube and other high-quality video inventory.
Connected TV inventory can also be purchased through RTB insertion orders.
Compare Connected TV insertion orders with real-time bidding insertion orders
Use the chart below to help you determine which insertion order type is right based on your needs:
|Real-time bidding||Connected TV|
|Suggested video buying options||Desktop and mobile digital video content||TV and over-the-top content on connected TV devices|
|Line item types for video||
|Performance goal||Multiple, including CPM, CPC, and CPA||
Set at line item level
Set at line item level
|Targeting||All options available||
Pre-selected options for the following targeting settings:
The following settings are not available:
Buying best practices
- Custom bidding: Custom bidding algorithms are available as a bidding mechanism for connected TV line items so you can optimize toward your own KPIs. Scripts intended to be used with CTV campaigns don't support scoring based on domain. Learn more
- Connected TV bid adjustments for YouTube & partners line items: Use the connected TV bid adjustment to create YouTube & partners line items that will bid only on connected TV inventory by setting the other available multipliers to -100%. Learn more