Cast live video to your TV with your voice, from your Nest camera, or other compatible security camera. Use a Google Nest or Home speaker or display, and Chromecast or TV with Chromecast built-in.
What you need
- Compatible security camera
- Google Nest or Home speaker or display
- Chromecast or TV with Chromecast built-in
Step 1. Set up your security camera
- If you have a Nest camera or doorbell, follow the instructions provided in the box and app.
- If you have another compatible camera, follow the steps provided by the device maker.
Note: Nest Cam (battery) and Nest Doorbell (battery) can only stream to Chromecast with Google TV or a smart display screen. Learn how to Stream your security camera using your display.
Step 2. Set up your device
If you haven't set up your Chromecast and speaker or display, follow the steps below. Make sure you connect these devices to the same Wi-Fi network as your camera, and add them to the same home in the Google Home app:
- Chromecast with Google TV (must be set up in the Google Home app)
- Chromecast (3rd gen or older)
- TV with Chromecast built-in
- Speaker or display
Step 3. Add your camera or doorbell to the Google Home app
Note: If you set up a Nest camera or doorbell, it should already be added to the Google Home app. If you can't find it in the app, force close the app and open it again.
If you have another compatible camera, or still can't find your Nest camera in the app, follow the steps below.
- Open the Google Home app .
- Verify the Google Account shown is the one linked to your speaker or display. To switch accounts, tap another account or Add another account.
- At the top of the screen, verify you're using the home where you added your Chromecast and speaker or display. To switch between homes, tap the triangle next to the home name.
- Tap Devices Add Works with Google .
- Choose your camera manufacturer from the list to finish setup.
Step 4. Use voice commands to stream your security camera to your TV
To do this:
Say "Ok Google" or "Hey Google," then:
"Show [camera name]"
"What's on [camera name]?"
"[Camera name] on [Chromecast device name]"
"Play [camera name] on [Chromecast device name]"
"Show [camera name] on [Chromecast device name]"
"Stop [TV or Chromecast device name]"
- Live video from battery-powered Nest cameras and doorbells stops after 5 minutes.
- Live video from wired Nest cameras and doorbells stops after 12 hours.
To start the live stream again, repeat your voice command.