Google Cast extension
To cast a tab from Chrome, you'll need the Google Cast extension installed on your Chrome browser. Let's get started!
Install the Google Cast extension for your Chrome browserHaving trouble? Try these troubleshooting steps
Install the Google Cast extension for your Chrome browser
- Make sure you're using the latest version of Chrome by navigating to Settings > About Google Chrome and update your Chrome browser to the latest version, if necessary. If you're having trouble, here's how to update Chrome.
- Download the Google Cast extension.
- Once installed, in the top right corner of your Chrome browser, you should see the Cast button .
- Start casting a tab!
- Please note: You do not need to re-install the Google Chromecast app if your device is already set up. You only need to download the Google Chrome Cast extension.
Cast extension download fails or has issues
If one step doesn't work, try the next one in the list below:Cast extension icon not appearing in browser
There are three possible reasons that the Cast icon on your Chrome browser may seem to disappear after the extension has been installed:
- The Cast extension has crashed. If the Cast extension crashes, the cast icon will disappear until the extension is restarted. There's a little notification that normally shows when this happens, and clicking on it will restart the extension.<
- The Cast icon is in the overflow area. If you have multiple extensions on your browser, the Cast icon may be shown in the icon overflow area. Expand the extension icon area by dragging the left edge, or expanding the browser window.
- The Cast extension disappeared after resetting Chrome settings. You may have seen a prompt in Chrome asking you to reset their browser settings to factory default. Clicking "Reset" makes the Cast extension icon disappear. Re-enable the Cast extension by going here and clicking Add Cast Extension.
- If the above reasons don't address the issue, try the following troubleshooting steps:
- Make sure the computer/laptop is connected to the same Wi-Fi network as the Google Cast device
- Make sure the Chrome browser is up to date. At a minimum, browser should be running Chrome 28.
- Completely close and reopen the Chrome browser
- Are you casting a pop-up window flash player? If so, the cast icon may not automatically appear. Use one of the following workarounds:
- Right-click the title bar and show as tab
- Cut and paste the URL into the address bar of your Chrome browser
- Try casting using another device (phone, tablet, computer)
Still need help? Check out the related questions below from our help forum.
Elise is a Chromecast expert and author of this help page. Leave her feedback below about the page.