Google Cast extension
Install the Google Cast extension for your Chrome browser
- Make sure you're using the latest version of Chrome by navigating to Settings > About Google Chrome and update your Chrome browser to the latest version, if necessary. If you're having trouble, here's how to update Chrome.
- Download the Google Cast extension.
- Once installed, in the top right corner of your Chrome browser, you should see the Cast button .
- Start casting a tab!
- Please note: Installing the Google Cast extension is not required to cast content from Chrome. The extension allows quick access to Cast functionality via a extension. Even if you don’t install the Cast extension, you can cast
- From a Cast-enabled site: For sites like youtube.com and netflix.com, click the Cast icon in the video player.
- From Chrome Setting menu: Navigate to the Chrome Settings menu in the upper right corner of your browser > click "Cast.." > choose the device you want to cast to.
- From the webpage: Right click on the webpage > click Cast > choose the device you want to cast to.
- From the Google Cast extension: If you’ve installed the Google Cast extension, click the Cast button in the Chrome toolbar (upper right corner) of your browser.
Having trouble? Try these troubleshooting stepsCast extension download fails or has issues
There are three possible reasons that the Cast icon on your Chrome browser may seem to disappear after the extension has been installed:
- The Cast icon is in the overflow area. If you have multiple extensions on your browser, the Cast icon may be shown in the icon overflow area. Expand the extension icon area by clicking the Chrome Settings menu in the upper-right hand corner of your browser.
- The Cast extension disappeared after resetting Chrome settings. You may have seen a prompt in Chrome asking you to reset their browser settings to factory default. Clicking Reset makes the Cast extension icon disappear. Re-enable the Cast extension by going Chromecast Setup page and clicking Add Cast Extension.
- The Cast icon was removed. Re-enable the Cast extension by visiting the Chromecast Setup page and clicking Add Cast Extension.
- If the above reasons don't address the issue, try the following troubleshooting steps:
- Make sure the Chrome browser is up to date. At a minimum, browser should be running Chrome 50.
- Completely close and reopen the Chrome browser.
- Try casting using another device (phone, tablet, computer).
Elise is a Chromecast expert and author of this help page. Leave her feedback below about the page.