Using Chromecast with Chrome
A few simple steps are required in order to use your Chromecast device from computers running Chrome. Once complete, you'll be able to play video on your TV from Google Cast-enabled sites like youtube.com and netflix.com, and also cast your browser tab!To set up casting from Chrome
- If you're not already running Chrome, download Chrome. If you are, Chrome updates automatically, so no action should be required.
- Ensure you're running the latest version of Chrome. If you're having trouble, here's how to get Chrome updates.
- Install the Google Cast extension. If the Google Cast Extension is already installed on your browser, you'll see a Cast icon in the Chrome toolbar (near the top right).
- If you plan to cast a tab to your Chromecast to watch video on TV, review the Minimum System Requirements to ensure that your computer and network are capable of supporting this.
- Navigate to any website you would like to listen to. Some sites will offer Google Cast optimized experience like youtube.com and netflix.com.
- Press the Cast button in the Chrome toolbar (top right hand area) of your browser. A list of available Cast devices will appear.
- Pick your device and you'll see the Cast button change color to indicate it's active.
- Select your favorite entertainment.
That's it - you're ready to go! If you need more information, check out one of the following:
- Casting a Tab explains how to cast an entire tab of Chrome onto your TV.
- Google Cast-enabled site vs. Casting a tab explains the differences between Google Cast-enabled site, such as youtube.com and netflix.com and general content you'll find on the web.
- Learn how to Cast to Hangouts and Cloud Services from Chrome.
If you're having trouble, please try our Chromecast troubleshooting tips.
Elise is a Chromecast expert and author of this help page. Leave her feedback below about the page.