Use Chromecast with your Chromebook
You can view your favorite videos, photos, websites, and more on your TV using Chromecast.
Check if Chromecast works with your Chromebook
For Chromecast to work on your Chromebook, make sure you have the following:
Set up Chromecast with your Chromebook
- Turn on your TV.
- Plug in your Chromecast.
- Using the Input or Source button on your TV remote, change the input on your TV until you see the Chromecast home screen.
- If you haven't yet, sign in to your Chromebook.
- Install the Google Cast extension .
- In the window that appears, choose your Chromecast. The name you choose should match the name on your TV screen.
- Click Set up.
- Follow the instructions that appear.
To connect another Chromecast to your Chromebook:
- Click the Cast extension in your browser .
- Click Options > Add Chromecast.
Cast from your ChromebookCast from your Chrome browser
Find out how to cast videos from tabs in your Chrome browser to your TV.
To cast from your Chromebook desktop:
- Click the status area, where your account picture appears.
- Click Cast devices available.
- Select your Chromecast or other Google Cast device.
- Select the window you'd like to cast.
- Click Share. The window will appear on your TV screen.
To stop casting:
- Click the status area.
- In the row with the Cast icon, click Stop.
- Click the launcher .
- Select Files . (It might be hidden under All Apps.)
- Click My Drive to open your Google Drive folder.
- Double-click the file you want to cast.
- In the window that opens, click the Cast icon .
- On the pop-up screen that opens, choose the Google Cast device you want to cast to.
To stop casting your video:
- In the video player, click the Cast icon .
- Click This computer.
Troubleshoot problemsChromecast won't connect to my network
If your Chromecast is having trouble connecting to your network, check to see if your router is compatible with Chromecast.
If it's compatible but still having trouble, check out this Chromecast troubleshooter for more help.
Check out these troubleshooting steps.
Arneil is a Chromebook expert and author of this help page. Help him improve this article by leaving feedback below.