Use Chromecast with your Chromebook
You can cast your favorite videos, photos, websites, and more from your Chromebook to your TV either from Google Drive or Chrome browser.
Check if Chromecast works with your Chromebook
For Chromecast to work on your Chromebook, make sure you have the following:
- Chromecast or Android TV
- One of these Chromebooks: Chromebook Pixel, Samsung Chromebook 2, or Haswell-based Chromebook
- Chrome OS version 28+ to cast from Chrome browser or Chrome OS version 39+ to cast files stored on Google Drive
- A TV with an HDMI input
Set up your Chromebook for Chromecast
- Install the Chromecast app.
- Install the Google Cast Extension for Chrome.
- Follow the instructions in the setup window that opens.
If setup doesn’t automatically begin or if you want to run setup later, click the Cast extension button in your browser. Then select Options>Add Chromecast.
If your Chromecast is set up correctly and your TV is on the correct input, you will see the Chromecast Home Screen on your TV screen with your Wi-Fi network name on the bottom left.Cast files stored on Google Drive
To cast videos stored on Google Drive from your Chromebook, you need to open them from the Files app:
- Open the Files app.
- Double-click the file you want to cast.
- At the bottom right of the window that opens, click on the casting icon .
- On the pop-up screen that opens, choose the device you want to cast to.
Once the Chrome OS video player opens, the video will appear on your television screen. You can adjust the volume and screen resolution and play videos from your Chromebook. You can also make adjustments with your TV’s remote control.
Find out how to cast videos from tabs in your Chrome browser to your TV or other display device.
Troubleshoot problemsI don’t see the Chromecast Home Screen on my TV
If you don't see the Chromecast Home Screen, change the input on your TV using the Input or Source button on your TV’s remote control.