Turn Chat notifications on or off

You can get notified when someone sends you a message in Google Chat. If you create, respond to, or are @mentioned in a message or room, you automatically get notifications but can turn them off. You can also customize notifications by device, conversation or room, or get an email reminder if you haven't read a message in 12 hours.

Notifications appear either on the device you’re actively using or your most recently used device. Clicking a notification makes that device active. If you aren’t active in Chat anywhere after a few seconds, notifications appear on all devices where you’re signed in to your Google Account.

Change notifications in Chat

For all conversations

1. Open the Chat app "".
  2. At the top left, tap Menu ""and thenSettings.
  3. Tap Mobile notifications and choose an option:
    • All Messages—Get a notification for all direct messages and all messages in rooms.
    • New threads, threads I’m following and direct messages—Get a notification for all direct messages, the first message of every new thread, and all threads you’re following.
    • Threads I’m following and direct messages—Get a notification for all direct messages and threads you’re following.
    • Only @mentions and direct messages—Get a notification for direct messages and @mentions in rooms.
    • Off—Turn off all notifications.

For a specific room or conversation

1. Open the Chat app "".
  2. Tap the name of the person or room.
  3. At the top, next to the name of the person or room, tap the Right arrow "".
  4. Tap Notifications to turn notifications on or off for that room or conversation.

Even if you turn off notifications, you still get a notification for @mentions and direct messages.

Change notifications in Gmail

For all conversations

1. Open the Gmail app "".
  2. At the top left, tap Menu ""and thenSettings.
  3. Select your account.
  4. Tap Chat mobile notifications and choose an option:
    • All Messages—Get a notification for all direct messages and all messages in rooms.
    • New threads, threads I’m following and direct messages—Get a notification for all direct messages, the first message of every new thread, and all threads you’re following.
    • Threads I’m following and direct messages—Get a notification for all direct messages and threads you’re following.
    • Only @mentions and direct messages—Get a notification for direct messages and @mentions in rooms.
    • Off—Turn off all notifications.

For a specific room or conversation

1. Open the Gmail app "".
  2. Tap the Chat or Rooms tab.
  3. Tap the name of the person or room.
  4. At the top, next to the name of the person or room, tap the Right arrow "".
  5. Tap Notifications to turn notifications on or off for that room or conversation.

Even if you turn off notifications, you still get a notification for @mentions and direct messages.