Link your Google Ads account to your Analytics property to see the full customer cycle, from how users interact with your marketing (e.g., clicking ads) to how they finally complete the goals you’ve set for them on your site or app (e.g., making purchases, consuming content).In this article:
When you link your Google Analytics 4 property to your Google Ads account, you can:
- See your Google Ads campaigns in the Acquisition overview report
- Access new Google Ads dimensions in the User acquisition report
- Import Analytics conversions into your Google Ads account
- Enhance your Google Ads remarketing with Analytics audience data
- See your Google Ads campaigns in the Advertising workspace, including the Attribution reports
You can link Google Analytics 4 properties to individual Google Ads accounts and to Google Ads manager accounts.
You can create up to 400 links per property. If your current Google Ads setup exceeds this limit, consider creating a Google Ads manager account and linking that to your Analytics property.
Before you begin
To link a property to Google Ads, use a Google account that has the following permissions. If your account doesn’t have these permissions, ask your Analytics or Google Ads administrator for help.
- In Analytics, you need to have the Editor role for the property that you want to link.
- In Google Ads, that same Google account needs administrative access.
- If you link to a Google Ads manager account, any data that you import from Analytics will be available to all of your client accounts.
- In Analytics, click Admin.
- In the Property column, use the menu to select the property you want to link.
- Under Product Linking, click Google Ads Linking.
- Click Link.
- Click Choose Google Ads accounts, then select the Google Ads accounts you want to link.
- Click Confirm.
- Click Next.
- The option to Enable Personalized Advertising is on by default.
- Expand the Enable Auto-Tagging to enable auto-tagging or to leave your auto-tagging settings as they are.
If you enable auto-tagging when you link to a manager account, then auto-tagging will be enabled on all Google Ads accounts directly linked to the manager account.
- Click Next, then review your settings.
- Click Submit to link your accounts with the current settings.
When you create a link between your Google Ads account and your Google Analytics 4 property, you'll automatically begin seeing Google Ads data in your Google Analytics 4 reports. This link also makes data from your Google Analytics 4 property available to use in Google Ads. However, to take action on this data, you still need to sign in to Google Ads and do at least one of the following:
For enhanced remarketing and reporting, you also need to activate Google Signals.
- In Analytics, click Admin.
- In the Property column, under Product Linking, click Google Ads Linking.
- In the list of linked accounts, click the arrow at the end of the row for the one you want to edit.
- Turn Enable Personalized Advertising on or off.
- Click to delete the link. (Learn more about unlinking in the following section.)
Unlinking Google Ads accounts from Analytics
Either a Google Ads Admin or an Analytics user with the Editor role can unlink the linked Google Ads account(s).
If you delete a link, then data stops flowing between the linked Google Ads account and the Analytics property.
- Google Ads data (e.g., clicks, impressions, CPC, etc.) from unlinked Google Ads accounts is not visible in Analytics reports.
- Historical Google Ads dimensions (e.g., Campaign name, Ad group ID) collected before the link was deleted will continue to be available in Analytics. Any new data for these dimensions resulting from clicks from an unlinked Google Ads account will appear as (not set), along with Google Ads metrics (e.g., Cost, Clicks) for all date ranges.
- Analytics remarketing audiences stop accumulating new users in unlinked Google Ads accounts.
- Unlinked Google Ads accounts stop importing conversions from Analytics.