Traffic app video interstitials in Ad Exchange
Ad Exchange publishers can show video interstitials, including TrueView and Video click-to-download. They can display both skippable and standard videos. Video demand will compete with standard Image ads to maximize performance for the publisher.
An interstitial ad usually appears in-between transitions from one section to another within a mobile app. Interstitial video formats provide a high-value option for app monetization:
- Video demand is growing, and CPMs for video formats are often significantly higher than typical display units.
- TrueView skippable video ads are a major source of demand for app video interstitials. They benefit users, as they can skip videos after five seconds. They’re also great for advertisers, who only pay if the video runs to the end or 30 seconds, whichever comes first.
- Video click-to-download ads are also in high demand and and are a great way for advertisers to increase app downloads. They’re included in the skippable ads category for this feature.
Publishers have control over which types of video interstitials they’re willing to display:
- Use blocking rules to prevent video interstitials from being displayed. If no blocks are set, the videos will be eligible for all interstitial traffic.
- For more granular control, you can set up rules to specify the types (skippable and standard) and length of videos that can be displayed.
Read the sections below to learn about requirements before you can traffic video interstitials, how to set up rules, and how to analyze the performance of your interstitial videos.
For a video ad to serve:
- A publisher must have a recent version of the Google Mobile Ads SDK:
- If you create an offer for a deal with video on mobile interstitial inventory, you must select Mobile In-App as the environment type.
- A user must be using WiFi.
The default is to allow the display of video interstitials. If needed, you can use blocking rules to prevent this trafficking.
- In your Ad Exchange account, add a blocking rule as you normally would.
- Click Rules Blocking.
To access this feature from DFP instead of Ad Exchange, select Inventory Ad Exchange rules Blocking.
- Click Mobile In-app NEW RULE.
- Under “When targeting:”, choose which inventory to include or exclude from the block.
- Under “Block the following:”, click Video interstitial.
- Click SAVE.
You can set up rules to control the types (skippable and standard) and duration of videos that can be displayed. Note that if your interstitials are opted into video, some ads may have up to a 5-second delay before providing a close option. By policy, interstitials that don’t allow video will have an immediate close option. The Google Mobile Ads SDK will begin enforcing this more aggressively with releases of the Google Mobile Ads SDK: 7.21 or later for iOS, and 11.4 or later for Android.
- In your Ad Exchange account, add a rule as you normally would.
- Click Rules Video settings.
To access this feature from DFP instead of Ad Exchange, select Inventory Ad Exchange rules Video settings.
- Click the Mobile In-app NEW RULE.
- Under “When targeting:”, choose which inventory to include or exclude from the rule.
- Under “Use the following”, choose whether to include skippable videos, standard videos, and/or videos of a specified maximum duration. Durations must be at least 5 seconds. If no maximum duration is specified, the default maximum for skippable ads is approximately one minute.
- Click SAVE.