Block advertiser URLs in Ad Exchange
You can block specific ads from appearing on your pages. This is helpful when you don't want to display particular advertisements—for example, you may want to block ads leading to competitors' sites.
You can block ads that link (or, click-through) to specific URLs. This way, you can easily block all ads that are linked to your competitor at www.example.com. By entering a top-level domain such as www.example.com, you'll also block all ads that link to subdirectories below that domain.
When entering the advertising URLs you want to block:
- You can separate multiple URLs with commas or hard returns.
- You can block a maximum of 25,000 URLs.
- Entering example.com will block ads to example.com and example.com/sub.
- Entering example.com/sub does not block ads to example.com/products.
- Entering example.com will block ads to www.example.com and forums.example.com.
- Entering www.example.com will block ads to www.example.com but not to forums.example.com or example.com.
- URLs are normalized for Google Play Store and iTunes URLs. This means you only need to add one variation of the URL to block the app from advertising on your property. For example, if itunes.apple.com/app/id12345 and itunes.apple.com/us/app/id12345 point to the same app, you only need to enter one of the URLs to block the app entirely.
For URLs that combine a top-level domain with a country code top-level domain (such as google.com.br):
- Explicitly include the country code top-level domain as part of the URL.
Steps to block URLs
- Sign in to DoubleClick for Publishers.
- Click Inventory Ad Exchange rules Blocking.
- Click the appropriate product sub-tab (for example, Display).
- Create a new rule or edit an existing one.
- Go to the "Advertiser URLs" tab.
- Decide which inventory to include or exclude from your targeting.
- Enter the display or destination URL(s) you want to block into the "Advertiser URLs" text box.
Follow the guidelines described above.
- Click Add advertiser URLs. All of the advertiser URLs you enter appear in the “Advertiser URLs” scroll box.
To allow an advertiser URL that you’ve blocked, find it in the blocked list and click the X to the right of the URL.
- Click Save.
When URLs will be blocked
Once you paste the advertiser site URLs into the Advertiser site list, it can take up to 4 hours for these URLs to be blocked from your pages, and ads with these URLs can appear in the Creative review for up to 24 hours.