We’ll set up your AdWords Express ad based on your business category, whether it’s a hair salon, dentist, or a car dealership. And if it just so happens that your business is all of the above, you can set up multiple ads for your business, each with a different category.
How categories work
When you sign up for AdWords Express or create a new ad, you'll be asked to choose a category. Your category helps determine the search phrases that will be associated with your ads, so be sure to choose a category that accurately describes your products or services. Whenever someone in your targeted radius searches for those phrases on Google or Google Maps, your ad can appear and help attract a new customer to your business.
If your category isn’t available when you sign up for AdWords Express, please fill out this feedback form. We’re working on adding new categories, and we'd love to hear from you.
In addition, you can create multiple ads for your business, and specify a different category for each ad. This allows you to write different ads that focus on different aspects of your business, and we’ll provide different search phrases for each.
Will owns a furniture store, but his store also specializes in office furniture. He uses AdWords Express to create two ads for his business, one with the category “Furniture store”, and the other with the category “Office furniture”. He can now promote his office furniture selection separately.
Edit your category
You can edit your category in your AdWords Express dashboard at any time. Remember, your category determines the search phrases that are used with your ad. If you change your category, we’ll also change the search phrases used to determine when your ads will appear. Click the link below for instructions to change your category.How to change your current category
- Sign in to your AdWords Express account at http://adwords.google.com/express/
- Click the business listing with the ad.
- Click the arrow at the top right of the card. From the dropdown menu, select Edit ad audience.
- Under "Who are looking for this business category", you'll see your current category. If you’d like to make changes, enter your new category in this section. You can choose from a pre-filled list of categories based on the information that you enter.
- Click OK to save any changes.
- Understand how search phrases affect when your ads will appear.
- How to choose the right category and improve your search phrases.
- Create a new ad for your business.