Drive Sales with Gmail Ads: Google Best Practices
Gmail ads let you reach people in places where they spend a lot of time -- their inboxes. From targeting to creatives, learn how to drive the best possible performance from your Gmail ads campaigns.
1. Show your Gmail ads to the right people
- Use domain, keyword and purchase intent targeting to reach new customers.
Why: You can reach people that are likely prospects or ready to convert.
- Use email lists to re-engage customers.
Why: Customer Match can help you reach your most valuable customers with tailored ads and bids.
- Use similar audiences with Gmail to reach prospects who are like your customers.
Why: Similar Audiences with Gmail can expand your reach by 2x to highly qualified users.1
2. Entice people to click on your collapsed ads
- Front-end your most important call-to-actions or promotions.
Why: On average, only the first 40-45 characters of your description will appear on mobile Gmail ads.
- Highlight time-sensitive promotions or events.
Why: Your audience is already looking for discounts in Gmail’s Social and Promotions tabs.
- Tap into past email marketing campaigns.
Why: Don’t reinvent the wheel if you already have top performing subject lines or images that you can reuse in your Gmail ads.
3. Design an expanded ad that converts
- Use Gmail ad templates.
Why: Gmail ad templates are mobile-optimized and often perform better than custom HTML templates.
- Design your expanded ad like a landing page.
Why: Well-designed landing pages can help guide a potential customer to convert.
4. Optimize your Gmail ads for success
- Review Gmail ads specific metrics to track campaign health.
Why: Identify opportunities to further optimize and refine your campaign.
1Source: Calculated median from internal Google data, March 2015.