Exclude specific audiences from an ad group
In addition to reaching specific audiences with your ads on the Display Network, you can exclude unrelated, and therefore unprofitable, audiences. By reaching only the audiences whose interests are relevant to your business, you can help reduce your costs and increase the likelihood your ad will attract clicks and conversions.
Just as you can improve your keyword list by excluding specific keywords, you can remove specific types of audiences, like remarketing lists or interest categories, from your ad group if they're not a good match for what you're advertising.
Bob sells computers, but he's focused primarily on regular consumers and small businesses. So he adds the "Computers & Electronics" interest category but excludes the "Electronics & Electrical" and the "Enterprise Technology" categories, since people interested in these last two categories are less likely to be interested in buying the products he sells.
How to exclude audiences
Keep in mind
Audience exclusions are available only for these campaign types:
- "Display Network only - remarketing"
- "Display Network only - All features"
- "Search & Display Networks - All features"
If you have a different campaign type, you won't be able to exclude remarketing lists or interest categories. You can create a new campaign, or switch your campaign type. Keep in mind that switching to a different campaign type may hide or deactivate some features that affect ad serving.
You can exclude audiences at the ad group and campaign level. Just follow these steps:
- Sign in to your AdWords account at https://adwords.google.co.uk.
- Click the Campaigns tab at the top.
- Under All online campaigns at the top left, select an ad group.
- Click the Display Network tab.
- At the bottom of the page, below the statistics table, click +Exclusions.
- Click Interests & Remarketing.
- Click the Add Exclusions button under either the "Ad group level" or "Campaign level" sections.
- Select an ad group or campaign from the drop-down menu that appears.
- Select Interest categories, Remarketing lists, or Custom combinations from the drop-down menu under "Exclude interests & remarketing".
- Select as many audiences as you like, either by using "Search by list name" or by clicking the add link to the right of each audience. Your audience will then appear in the "Selected audiences" column below.
- Click Save. Your selections are then listed in the "Excluded audience" table.