Exclude specific audiences from an ad group
In addition to reaching specific audiences with your ads on the Display Network, you can also exclude unrelated (and therefore unprofitable) audiences. By reaching only the audiences that are relevant to your business, you can help to reduce your costs and increase the likelihood that your ad will attract clicks and conversions.
Just as you can improve your keyword list by excluding specific keywords, you can remove specific types of audiences, such as remarketing lists or audiences, from your ad group if they're not a good match for what you're advertising.
How to exclude audiences
Bear in mind
Audience exclusions are only available for these campaign types:
- "Display Network only – remarketing"
- "Display Network only – All features"
- "Search & Display Networks – All features"
If you have a different campaign type, then you won't be able to exclude remarketing lists or audiences.
You can exclude audiences at the ad group and campaign level. Just follow these steps:
- Sign in to your AdWords account at https://adwords.google.co.uk.
- Click on the Campaigns tab at the top.
- Under All online campaigns at the top left, select an ad group.
- Click on the Display Network tab.
- At the bottom of the page, below the statistics table, click on +Exclusions.
- Click on Interests & Remarketing.
- Click on the Add Exclusions button under either the "Ad group level" or "Campaign level" sections.
- Select an ad group or campaign from the drop-down menu that appears.
- Select Interest categories, Remarketing lists, or Custom combinations from the dropdown menu under "Exclude interests & remarketing".
- Select as many audiences as you like, either by using "Search by list name" or by clicking on the add link to the right of each audience. Your audience will then appear in the "Selected audiences" column below.
- Click on Save. Your selections are then listed in the "Excluded audience" table.