Google provides translated versions of our Help Center as a convenience, though they are not meant to change the content of our policies. The English version is the official language we use to enforce our policies. To view this article in a different language, use the language dropdown at the bottom of the page.
This policy applies to advertisers using enhanced conversions for web, enhanced conversions for leads, store sales, or store sales (direct upload).
Collecting customer information
Unless you are an advertiser that sells your products through retailers (see below), you may only upload first-party data, which is defined as customer information that is shared directly with you by the customer. This may be gathered from your websites, apps, physical stores (including offline transaction data), or other places where customers interact with your business.
If a third party who you have authorized uploads data into your Google Ads account on your behalf (“Third Party Uploader”), then you must also (1) ensure in writing that the Third Party Uploader complies with these policies, and (2) where required by applicable laws, have written agreements in place with such Third Party Uploaders.
Examples of where you can collect customer data
- Customers who purchased an item from your website, app, or physical store
- Customers who registered to receive marketing messages
- Customers who requested more information / quotes from you
- Customers who signed up for an account / your loyalty program
- Comply with all applicable laws and regulations, including any data protection or privacy laws, as well as self-regulatory or industry codes that may apply. Any processing of store sales transaction data that you upload from European Economic Area users will be subject to the store sales (direct upload) ads data processing terms.
- You may not upload information that is prohibited by law, including information about minors. Don't upload any data (1) that you know relates to individuals under the age of 13 or (2) that was collected from any site or app directed to children under the age of 13.
- You may not upload transaction information related to the sensitive categories, described below. You may only use Google’s approved API or interface to upload customer information.
- If you instruct Google to automatically generate Customer Match lists using the data you upload, you must also comply with Customer Match policies.
Transactions related to sensitive categories can’t be used for measurement in enhanced conversions, store sales, or store sales (direct upload).
Sensitive categories include:
- Interest or participation in adult activities such as gambling, sexual encounter dating, sexualized theme dating, sexual entertainment, pornography
- Sexual behavior or orientation
- Racial or ethnic information
- Political affiliation
- Trade union membership or affiliation, such as trade union membership purchases
- Religion or religious belief, such as people's affirmative information on religion or religious beliefs
- Negative financial status or situation, such as information indicating that a user has a low credit rating or high debt load
- Health or medical information, such as purchases of medical services, prescription drugs or medical devices
- Status as a child under 13
- The commission or alleged commission of any crime, such as information indicating that a user has a criminal record
- Divorce or marital separation, such as transactions related to divorce counseling
- Any other products prohibited by the Google Ads policies
What happens if you violate our policies
Compliance review: We may review your business for compliance with these policies at any time. If we contact you to request information related to compliance, you're required to respond in a timely manner and swiftly take any corrective action needed to comply with our policies. If you’re a manager account, we may also contact your managed accounts to verify compliance.
Notification of non-compliance: If we believe that you're violating these policies, we'll contact you to request corrective action. If you fail to make the requested corrections within the time period given, you may be denied the ability to use these products, or your access to your Google Ads accounts may be suspended. In cases of serious or repeated violations, your account may be suspended immediately and without notification. Learn more about suspended accounts.