Important update: Policy for advertising based on interests and location
In late May 2016, we’ll update our policy for advertising based on interests and location.
Which Google Ads features will be impacted
All the current Google Ads features that comply with our interest-based advertising (IBA) policies must continue to comply with upcoming policy changes. These features are:
- affinity audiences
- custom affinity audiences
- in-market audiences
- similar audiences
- demographic and location targeting
This will be a global policy change.
What this means for you
We want to provide increased accessibility, clarity, and understanding of our interest-based advertising policies for advertisers and users alike. You’ll notice the following changes to the IBA policy:
- more transparency into why we have each content policy
- additional policy examples for added clarity
- increased detail in our policy definitions
In addition, we’ll introduce some new IBA content policies that no longer allow advertisers to create interest-based ads on the following:
Example: bereavement products or servicesExample: domestic abuse shelters or victim advocate servicesExample: immigration services or legal services for refugeesExample: information about gender transitioning or transgender discrimination lawyers
- Content that reveals personal hardships related to relationships and family
- Content that reveals personal hardships related to victim support
- Content that reveals the user’s identity related to potentially marginalized social groups
- Content that reveals the user’s identity related to transgender identification
After the new policy goes into effect, the policy description will be updated to reflect this change.
(Posted March 2016)