The Optimization tab
The following ad settings are available for use in experiments:
- Ad unit settings: All ad type and text ad style settings are available for experiments.
- Allow & block ads: The following ad blocking settings are available for experiments:
- General ad categories (including first level sub-categories)
- Sensitive ad categories
- Ad serving opt-outs (e.g., enhanced text ads, expandable ads, etc.)
- Ad balance: You can compare your current ad fill rate against a different ad fill rate. Learn more about ad balance.
There are two ways to create experiments. You can either:
- Design your own experiment - you set up the experiment yourself by choosing the ad setting and creating the variation.
- Run an experiment from an opportunity on your Optimization page - we set up the experiment for you based on the settings change described in the opportunity.
To choose the winner of your experiment, you should:
- Review the performance of your original versus the variation you created for the experiment.
- If one branch has higher RPM and longer ad session lengths, we recommend you choose this one.
- If not, you will need to make a trade-off between the two, based on your judgment.
In general, we don't recommend you apply changes that significantly reduce ad session length and only slightly increase RPM. Likewise, you might consider applying changes that slightly reduce RPM if it results in substantially increased session length.