You can traffic full-page web ads that appear between page views. Web interstitials are an additional inventory and revenue source. Publishers can monetize web pages with impactful ads while respecting Better Ads Standards.
To respect the user experience, web interstitials:
- Pre-load and render automatically before navigating away from the page without delay when the user clicks a link in the page.
- Have a clear exit option.
- Have a fixed frequency cap—a given publisher can show an ad to a user only once per hour per subdomain.
- Match Google Search standards for avoiding intrusiveness.
- Add the
INTERSTITIALGPT slot type to the
<head>element of the web page.
- Display the ad slot as you would any other ad slot.
- Add the
- Create ad units (or use existing ones) for interstitial slots. To streamline trafficking, include the sizes 320x480, 300x250, and 336x280. For video out-stream ads, include the sizes 300x250, 336x280 or 320x480.
- Create line items:
- For reserved and programmatic direct inventories: Target inventory as normal. Creatives must have the size 320x480, 300x250, or 336x280. Note that you can target line items by Inventory format, with “Interstitial” as an option.
- For non-reserved inventory: Include the relevant ad unit in the Ad Exchange line item. Include the sizes 320x480, 300x250, or 336x280 in the associated placeholder creative. These fixed sizes are needed only for trafficking purposes on Ad Exchange line items. Ads served programmatically can be a range of sizes depending on the size of the viewport.
- For video out-stream ads (reserved and programmatic direct inventories): Target inventory as normal. Creatives must have the size 320x480, 300x250, or 336x280. Note that you can target line items by Inventory format, with “Interstitial” as an option.
Use the “Inventory format” dimension to see how interstitials perform compared to other formats.
To demo the interstitial format, append
#gamInterstitialDemo to a website page that already has some GPT tags. Clicking a navigation link on the page should trigger the format.
To ensure that users see a maximum of one ad per hour per subdomain, Ad Manager uses local storage to verify that a user has not seen a web interstitial in the past hour. Use of this format is subject to the EU user consent policy. If you don’t obtain consent, web interstitials won’t be requested.
Some links on a page may be considered ineligible to show interstitial ads. Interstitial ads won’t be shown when a user clicks an ineligible link, for example, links to URLs without HTTP/HTTPS and links that open a new window.