This article addresses some of the top questions in relation to the EU User Consent Policy audit. To learn more about the policy, visit our EU User Consent Policy Help Center.
You must obtain end users’ legally valid consent to:
- the collection, sharing, and use of personal data for personalization of ads.
When seeking consent you must:
- retain records of consent given by end users; and
- provide end users with clear instructions for revocation of consent.
Our policy requires identification of each party that receives end users’ personal data as a consequence of using a Google product. It also requires prominent and easily accessible information about the use of end users’ personal data. We have published information about Google’s uses of information. To comply with the disclosure obligations with respect to Google's uses of data, we recommend linking to that page.
Our EU User Consent Policy requires that you clearly identify each party with whom data will be shared. So whether you use a custom set of ad technology providers or use the commonly used set, you will need to list these providers for your users.You can view these controls and the list of ad technology providers in your Ad Manager, AdSense, or AdMob account. Learn more about ad technology providers
For further information on the common mistakes when implementing a consent mechanism, review this list.
- Have you explained to users how their personal data will be used when they give their consent to collect them on your site or app? (e.g., are they aware that their personal data will be used for personalization of ads and that cookies may be used for personalized and non-personalized advertising?)
- Have you checked that your consent notice is being displayed when your site or app is accessed by users from all EEA countries?
- Is your consent notice easily readable and visible? (e.g., does your consent notice mention "cookies," "data," or "information" in the first layer?)
- Have the users been given an option to take affirmative action to indicate consent? (e.g., clicking an "OK" button or an "I agree" button)
- Have you disclosed which third parties (including Google) will also have access to the user data you collect on your site or app?
- Have you informed users about how Google will use their personal data when they give consent on your site or app? (e.g., by including a link to Google’s Privacy & Terms site)? What about how other third parties will use their personal data?
- If you use an IAB-certified CMP have you included "Google Advertising Products" as a vendor?
- About the AdSense code
- Comply with EU user consent policy
- Ads personalization settings in Google’s publisher ad tags
AdSense for Search
Google Analytics Advertising Features