Start by opening Google Chat. You can also add Chat to your Gmail inbox and get all the features of Chat directly in Gmail, so you can collaborate and stay connected from a central location.
- Go to get.google.com/chat.
- Install the desktop app.
Note: If you can’t access Chat, contact your G Suite administrator.
- On your computer, open Gmail.
- At the top right, click Settings See all settings.
- At the top, click Chat and Meet.
- Select Google Chat or Chat off to turn Chat on or off in Gmail.
- At the bottom, click Save Changes.
Note: If you turn off Chat in Gmail, your conversation list and pop-up notifications won't appear in Gmail. However, you can still use Chat on the web (chat.google.com).