Start by opening Google Chat. You can also add Chat to your Gmail inbox and get all the features of Chat directly in Gmail, so you can collaborate and stay connected from a central location.
From Chrome Browser, there are several ways to open Chat on your computer:
- Open a Chrome Browser tab and go to Chat or Gmail.
- Open Chat in the standalone app. For details, go to Install the Chat standalone app.
Note: If you can’t access Chat, contact your administrator.
- On your computer, open Gmail.
- At the top right, click Settings See all settings.
- At the top, click Chat and Meet.
- Select Google Chat or Chat off to turn Chat on or off in Gmail.
- At the bottom, click Save Changes.
Note: If you turn off Chat in Gmail, your conversation list and pop-up notifications won't appear in Gmail. However, you can still use Chat on the web (chat.google.com).