Start by opening Google Chat. You can also add Chat to your Gmail inbox and get all the features of Chat directly in Gmail, so you can collaborate and stay connected from a central location.
There are several ways to open Chat on your computer:
- To keep your communication in one place, open a Chrome Browser tab and use Chat in Gmail.
- To keep your workspaces separate, use the standalone Chat app. See Install the Chat standalone app.
- To work in Chrome Browser tabs, open Chrome Browser and go to Chat.
Note: If you can’t access Chat, contact your administrator.
- On your computer, open Gmail.
- At the top right, click Settings View all settings.
- At the top, click Chat and Meet.
- Next to “Chat,” to turn Chat on or off in Gmail, select Google Chat or Off.
- Click Save Changes.
Note: If you turn off Chat in Gmail, your conversation list and pop-up notifications won't appear in Gmail. However, you can still use Chat on the web (chat.google.com).