Restrict YouTube access for your organization
This page is for administrators. To enable or disable restricted mode on your personal account, go here instead.
As a G Suite administrator, you can apply restriction filters to the YouTube videos playable by users in your organization. When you turn on restrictions, users can’t access potentially mature videos or read comments on videos.
To restrict access for all or certain groups of signed-in users, you can set a permission level. To restrict access for users who aren’t signed in, you can set restrictions on your network and managed devices.
To allow specific content through the filters, designate approvers. Approvers can search for and approve videos so that other signed-in users can play them.
Step 1: Set video restrictions for your users
Before you begin: To apply the setting for certain users: Put their accounts in an organizational unit (to set by department) or put them in a configuration group (to set for users across or within departments).
From the Admin console Home page, go to AppsAdditional Google ServicesYouTube.
- Click Content Settings Setup.
- Check the box to turn on restrictions.
- Go back to the Settings for YouTube page and click Permissions.
- To apply the setting to everyone, leave the top organizational unit selected. Otherwise, select a child organizational unit or a configuration group.
- Select a permission level to apply to the organizational unit or group:
- Strict restricted YouTube access—Apply a strict filter to YouTube content. More videos are blocked than with the moderate filter.
- Moderate restricted YouTube access—Apply a moderate filter to YouTube content. Fewer videos are blocked than with the strict filter.
- Unrestricted YouTube access—Allow access to all YouTube content. No videos are blocked.
Note: Users with unrestricted access can browse all of YouTube when signed-in, even when you also set network-level restrictions.
- Click Save. If you configured an organizational unit or group, you might be able to Inherit/Override an organization or Unset a group.
Step 2: (Optional) Restrict network or device access to YouTube
Step 3: (Optional) Add video approvers
To let certain users approve YouTube content and override the restriction filter, make them content approvers.
Frequently asked questions about restrictions
Yes, all recommended and related videos and videos available in search are also restricted.
Generally, a user gets a message that the video isn’t available. A user can play a video when they meet either of the following conditions:
- They have unrestricted access and are signed in to their G Suite account.
- They are an approver and are signed in to their G Suite account.
For signed-in users, the Admin console settings take precedence over network or device settings. For example, if a user is on a network with strict restricted access but their organizational unit has moderate restricted access, then the user has moderate restricted access.
Users who aren’t signed in aren’t affected by Admin console settings.