Manage Google+ profile names
By default, Google+ users cannot change the name displayed in their Google+ profile, which is also the administrator-defined name for the user account. However, administrators can allow users to change their display name.
Considerations when allowing users to change their Google+ display name
The user defined display name is used in all other Google products, except for user-edited Gmail usernames.
However, even if the user changes their display name, the administrator-defined name for the user account is still used in the Admin console directory of users.
Considerations when restricting users from changing their Google+ display name
After deselecting this setting, all Google+ profile display names that were previously changed by users will be replaced by their corresponding names in the Admin console directory. To minimize confusion, we recommend informing your users that their display name may change before you disable this setting. You can use the Admin console account activity reports to discover which users previously changed their Google+ profile display name. To get a list of all users in your domain that previously changed their Google+ profile display name:
- Sign in to your Admin console and click Reports > Account activity
- Add the columns "Admin-Defined Name" and "Profile Name Status" into the table.
- Add a Filter on the column "Profile Name Status" equals "Changed By User".
Enable (or disable) Google+ profile name changes
- From the Admin console dashboard, go to AppsG SuiteGoogle+.
- Click Advanced settings.
- (Optional) Select a specific organizational unit (OU) that has been enabled for Google+.
- Scroll to Edit name and select or deselect Allow users to edit their names.
- Wait up to 30 minutes for the change to take effect.
- Refresh the user's Google+ profile page to display the administrator-defined name (the name configured for the user in the Admin console).