Supported editions for this feature: Business Starter; G Suite Basic.
If you have G Suite for Nonprofits or the legacy free edition of G Suite, you can upgrade your edition to get more storage. Compare your edition
If you're approaching the storage limit in Google Drive or have run out of storage, you have options to create more space.
Upgrade to unlimited storage
If you're using G Suite Basic, you can upgrade to G Suite Business for unlimited storage (1 TB per user with 4 or fewer users).
Once you have unlimited storage, you don't need to purchase Drive storage licenses.
Buy more storage licenses
- Purchase storage licenses for users—As an administrator, you can buy extra licenses for specific users.
- Let users buy their own extra storage—You can also turn on the option for users to buy more storage directly.
If you're a resold customer, contact your reseller for extra storage licenses.
Grow your team (Essentials)
See how much space a user has
- From the Admin console Home page, go to Users.
- In the active user list, find a specific user. In the Drive usage and Total storage columns, you can see the user's space details. A user's total storage is the sum of assigned licenses.
Don't see the Usage or Storage columns? In the top toolbar, click More > Select columns to add them.
Assign a larger storage license
To give a user more storage space:
Note: A user can have 1 individual license, plus 1 additional storage license assigned by an administrator (for example, a 30 GB individual license plus an additional 1 TB license assigned by an administrator).
Remove large files to free up space
Drive storage includes more than just files. Gmail messages, Google Photos, and files all count towards filling up your Drive storage.
- Gmail—As an administrator, you can reduce a user's email storage space. Learn more
- Drive—Individual users can delete large files and then empty their trash. Learn more
- Google Photos—Individual users can delete large photos and videos from their photo library. Learn more
Not sure what your Drive storage limit is?
Drive storage is shared between Google Drive, Gmail, and Google Photos. The amount of free storage for each user depends on your type of account:
(1 TB if 4 or fewer users)
No free storage quotas