Options for adding Drive storage
This feature is not available with the G Suite for Nonprofits edition or legacy free edition of G Suite. You can upgrade to G Suite Basic. Nonprofits customers can also buy individual storage instead.
If you're approaching the storage limit in Google Drive or have run out of storage, you have options to create more space.
Upgrade to unlimited storage
If you're using G Suite Basic, you can upgrade to G Suite Business or G Suite Enterprise for unlimited storage (1 TB per user with 4 or fewer users).
Once you have unlimited storage, you don't need to purchase Drive storage licenses.
Buy more storage licenses
- Purchase storage licenses for users— As a G Suite administrator, you can buy extra licenses for specific users. Learn more
- Let users buy their own extra storage—Users can purchase their own extra storage if you turn on the Individual Storage service in your Admin console. Learn More
If you're a resold customer, contact your reseller for extra storage licenses.
See how much space a user has
- From the Admin console Home page, go to Users.
- In the active user list, find a specific user. In the Drive usage and Total storage columns, you can see the user's space details. A user's total storage is the sum of assigned licenses.
Don't see the Usage or Storage columns? In the top toolbar, click More > Select columns to add them.
Assign a larger storage license
To give a user more storage space:
Note: A user can have 1 individual license, plus 1 additional storage license assigned by an administrator (for example, a 30GB individual license plus an additional 1TB license assigned by an administrator).
Remove large files to free up space
Drive storage includes more than just files. Gmail messages, Google Photos, and files all count towards filling up your Drive storage.
- Gmail—As a G Suite administrator, you can reduce a user's email storage space. Learn more
- Drive—Individual users can delete large files and then empty their trash. Learn more
- Google Photos—Individual users can delete large photos and videos from their photo library. Learn more
Not sure what your Drive storage limit is?
Drive storage is shared between Google Drive, Gmail, and Google Photos. The amount of free storage for each user depends on the type of your account:
(1 TB if 4 or fewer users)
No free storage quotas