Now, add files and folders to your shared drive.
In this section, you learn how to:
Create a new folder:
- On the left, click a shared drive or existing folder.
- Click NewFolder.
- Enter a folder name and click Create.
- To move folders into a shared drive that are already stored in My Drive or another shared drive, contact your G Suite administrator.
- Subfolders must have the same permission as the top-level folder.
Upload an existing folder from your computer:
- On the left, click a shared drive folder.
- On your computer, drag an existing folder into a shared drive. Or, click NewFolder upload. Navigate to the folder and open it.
Requires at least Contributor access
Any files you add are owned by the team. If you leave the shared drive, your files remain.
- On the left, click a shared drive.
- Drag an existing file (that you own*) from your computer or from My Drive into a shared drive. Or, click New and choose an option:
- To create a file, select the file type you want to create, such as Google Docs.
- To upload a file, click File upload. Navigate to the file and open it.
- Double-click a file to open and edit it.
*If you don't own the file but have Can edit access in Drive, you can move it to a shared drive if your G Suite administrator has allowed this option.
Note: To store and access files on your desktop, use Drive File Stream. See Get started with Drive.