When you turn on Google Workspace Sync for Microsoft Outlook (GWSMO), your organization's Global Address List in Google Workspace automatically becomes available to each GWSMO user in Outlook.
The Global Address List is a searchable directory of all the users, groups, shared contacts, and resources defined for your Google Workspace domain. Global addresses include each user’s primary email address and any email aliases or nicknames. Their name format (for example, Last name, First name or First name, Last name) follows your Gmail name format settings.
If you modify the Global Address List in Google Workspace, each user's list is updated in Outlook, too. It can take up to 24 hours for updates to became available in Outlook or for users to view the Global Address List after they install GWSMO.
Before you begin
To ensure the Global Address List is made available to GWSMO users, you need to turn on contact sharing in your Google Admin console. For details, go to Turn Directory on or off.
What's available and not available to Outlook users?
GWSMO users in Outlook can:
- View a Global Address List of all your organization's Google Workspace users, domain groups, shared contacts, and meeting rooms. For details, go to supported fields below.
- Search for contacts by user, group, and resource address in the Outlook Address Book. Entering the first few characters of an address in the Address Book autocompletes the top names that match an entry.
- Access free/busy information for other users and resources, such as conference rooms. You can also include free/busy information for people in your organization who are still using Microsoft Exchange. For details, go to Set up free/busy information for Exchange users.
GWSMO users in Outlook cannot view Exchange data that hasn't been replicated in Google Workspace.
Turn off the Global Address List
If you don't want users to have access to your Global Address List, you can turn off the feature for the whole organization or an individual user.Option 1: Turn off contact sharing for your organization
- From the Admin console Home page, go to Menu DirectoryDirectory settings.
- Click Sharing settingsContact sharing.
- Uncheck the Enable contact sharing box.
- Click Save.
You can turn off contact sharing for a user by adding a registry key on each person's computer. For details, go to Turn off the Global Address List for a user.
Your Global Address List includes all Google Workspace users, groups, shared contacts, and resources defined in your domain. GWSMO supports the following fields:
- General-Zip code
- Phone/Notes-Phone Numbers-Business
- Phone/Notes-Phone Numbers-Business2
- Phone/Notes-Phone Numbers-Fax
- Phone/Notes-Phone Numbers-Assistant
- Phone/Notes-Phone Numbers-Home
- Phone/Notes-Phone Numbers-Home2
- Phone/Notes-Phone Numbers-Mobile
- Phone/Notes-Phone Numbers-Pager
Google, Google Workspace, and related marks and logos are trademarks of Google LLC. All other company and product names are trademarks of the companies with which they are associated.